Tangier Sound 3/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangier Sound 3/31

Went out in the Tangier sound for some CR on Rockfish. My mission was to catch my first Striper FROM A YAK. Doug (RavensDefense) led me to a spot on the eastern shore in the Deal Island area We got out before first light, despite me going to the wrong meeting place. Fished Bloodworms on the bottom with individual circle hooks. Doug caught a big one around 7:30, He said it was around 39" his tape only went to 37". I was fired up and determined now! Finally I hooked into one about a hour later. It was around 28" and unhooked itself at the boat. Doug caught another 37"+ and I was getting pumped up again. I hooked up again but it was only a 24". ILL TAKE IT!!!! I definitely wanna catch some bigger ones though.

-Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

sounds like a blast. i hope to fish that area soonn
    sigpic

Comment

Nice congrats on the first rock man. I caught my 1st keeper rock last summer.

Dougs day with two 37+ inch fish sounds awesome. How close were you two fishing to each other?

Comment

nice! congrats on rock #1. i hope to check out a landing called Rumbly over there once the water warms a bit

Comment

What size circle hooks were you guys using? Was the rig a fish finder rig or a bottom rig? Did you use a whole bloodworm or cut up pieces? What tide phase did you fish? What were the water conditions? Depth? Water Temps? Was there any current flow or was the water still?
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            Dougs day with two 37+ inch fish sounds awesome. How close were you two fishing to each other?
            I fished one side less than 150 yds away, than switched to the other side 150yds away. Then I pulled up within 100 yds lol still no big boys for me.
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Congrats on the nice stripers, gents. I'd love to get into some fish that size.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                What size circle hooks were you guys using? Was the rig a fish finder rig or a bottom rig? Did you use a whole bloodworm or cut up pieces? What tide phase did you fish? What were the water conditions? Depth? Water Temps? Was there any current flow or was the water still?
                Whats with all the questions!!! Just Kidding! I used 4/0 and 5/0 circle hooks but they seemed smaller in size. They were eagle claw, I usually use Gamakatsu, and their 5/0's seem bigger. I always use inline circles unless I cannot find em (in OC during tournaments they get sold out). Inline refers to the bend of the barb with respect to the shank, an offset hook (as opposed to an inline) will not sit flat on a table when you lay it there. The barb will appear twisted off center, IMO this counteracts the usefullness of a circle hook. I snell my hook with a 4-8 inch leader of 50-80 lb mono with a swivel on the other end. I use a fishfinder rig with a 1-4 oz sinker. Same rig I use from the Surf on Assateague.

At first I was cutting my worms, I then began putting them on whole. We fished the last two hours of the incoming and probably 2 hours or more into the outgoing. I believe it was around a 40% moon so the tides were not very strong. There was current, it changed almost with the tide, but the wind was against the tide so once the tide began falling the current picked up.

We were fishing near a shallow sand bar < 2 ft of water, with deep 20 ft+ within 200-300 yards. I cant comment on the water temp because I do not know. The air temp ranged from probably 50-60 as it warmed. Overcast skies a little rain for a while, and then it cleared up around 11.

Hope this helps
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Working...
                X