BIG cats at bushwood (thanks surfdog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG cats at bushwood (thanks surfdog)

After reading Surfdog's post, I decided to try Bushwood wharf today in the yak. I decided to fish primarily for catfish but dangle a speck rig with bloodworm bits and see if I could get that lucky first croaker and the $50 prize at the Tacklebox.
    I paddled out the ramp, past the crab pots towards the point. The light winds gave me a chance to test my new anchor trolley. I searched around for the supposed patch of hard bottom without any luck...and no bites. Since they were catching from the pier, I assumed I was out to deep. I moved amongst the crab pots and added blood worm to both my night-crawler rig and the one baited with squid. I like to float my baits with a spin-n-glo ......the change of location got immediate results.
    over the next hour I caught 5 blue catfish, the smallest at 22 inches and the largest around 28. It was lots of fun and they did put up a tussle.
    Here is a great pick of the biggest of the group.
    I just finished a big meal of fried catfish, johnnie cakes and spinach!! Yum! I like blues better than channel cats.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Excellent! I like the pics, especially the one where the fish is flipping its tail. That big cat looks like a shark in the water.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Blue cats are excellent table fare- Kevin- and DNR wants us to take them- invasive species - We are doing our civic duty and enjoying every bite-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Making the Potomac at better place one mouthfull at a time!

Comment

Good work! Bushwood, here I come
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Let me know, Tufnik! i'll try to meet you there. Easter weekend is out for me, though

Comment

I was going to CBBT and/or Kipto this weekend, but the wind forecast is a bit too high. If the forecast remains high, Bushwood may be my option. If wind is 15-18 mph, is Bushwood still doable?

You can't do this Saturday, huh?

Comment

Bill and I fished the Potomac at Marshall Hall in that kind of wind last january, so i'd say it is possible. I assume the catfish would still be around. The nice thing is you are closer to shore and might afford some protection if the winds were blowing out of the north or south.

Comment

tufnik its pretty well sheltered there in the cove so you should be OK in the wind. go get some we filled 2 coolers by noon and my fishing buddy got 12 more after i left.

Comment

Is the place at the mouth of the Wicomico River? Where's the best place to fish? In the deep? Along the shore?

Doesn't look like there's much parking. On a dirt road? Did I read the map right?

I'm thinking of bringing bws, shrimp and store-bought catfish dough for a tandem rig. Should I try bunker too?

Comment

Hmmm...still thinking about bringing the yak or just shore cast.

Comment

yes mouth of the wicomaco r. big circular cove, paved parking but not much. we fished from the landing pier next to the ramp WD about 11' around the end of the pier. id get bw and fresh bunker

Comment

I fished out in the crab pots about 3/4 of the way to the point at the south end of the cove (you can see the house I fished in front of in the pics at the beginning).
                          I'd bring your yak. It can get crowded on the weekend. The bottom is sticky and holds the anchor really well. Even a big wind will be easy compared to some of the weather you've fished in at VA beach!

Comment

I'm not totally sure where Bushwood is but I'm pretty pumped about chance at catching big cats. I could fish Sunday if wind isn't too bad. Family doing "easter" stuff so I'm fishing hopefully and catching. Anyone in for Sunday? If so, PM me and perhaps we can meet up there.

Thanks
                            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

We did well shocking fish in Mattawoman this week. The bigger fish (up to 30 lbs) were in water as shallow as 2.5'.

Comment

Working...
                              X