Triadelphia Crappie 4/6/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triadelphia Crappie 4/6/12

I fished from 5PM-7PM on Friday. I tied a floating rapala minnow to a walleye bottom bouncer and I was happy with how it worked. I didn't catch any fish, but the bouncer kept the floating minnow lure down deep and the bouncer only got hung up a couple of times and it was easy to get unsnagged when it did. So I think this bottom bouncer thing has potential for catching fish in deeper waters there. I'll give it serious effort as the year progresses at Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge.

I also fished an in-line spinner in the shallows and backs of coves. I was skunked until I got back to the boat ramp and caught a nice sized crappie on it.

Today I'm heading out to the Potomac to try and catch some smallies. I'll take some photos.
    Last edited by DanMarino; 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM.

Good luck- the cold and windy weather is typical of our Springs around here- that is what kills me- you plan a fishing trip, get setup to go and the weather bombs on you- you go anyway and tough it out and have just enough luck to say you weren't skunked but still disappointed-

I am planning a road trip to the eastern shore for flounder and that is exactly what I expect to happen- weather this time of year is so hard to account for-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

What kind of inline spinner were you using?

I do really well fishing RG last year with a mepps black fury #5... a lot of 2-4# bass nailed that thing.
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Dan I fished upper triadelphia today and the north wind really killed me. I did catch my personal best YP and he proceeded to shoot a massive amount of spawn all over my kayak. Second time a fish has done that too me..

Comment

In-Line Spinner and Yuck

I've been using Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in sizes 2-5. I seem to catch most fish on silver. The next time I'm at Bass Pro I'll try and pick up a black spinner and see how that works.

Yuck about the yellow perch mess on your kayak. Eeeewwww.

Comment

Yep. The black one with chartruese dots seem to attract bigger fish. I also threw a gold #5 mepps and all I caught were dinks. Surprised they'd try to take on such a big spinner.

Didn't get any bites with the orange or yellow black fury spinners, but that's not to say that they won't necessarily work.

At brown's bridge I threw a small #3 silver one around, and had some follows from what looked like walleyes. They would peck at the spinner, but not take it down.
            Last edited by perchy; 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Here are some pics of some bass I caught while walking the shore at RG during the fall using the black fury #5. It is a fairly large spinner so it can be cast over a large distance and is heavy (1/2 oz) so you can count it down and fish it deeper.

Comment

Working...
              X