Mattawoman Creek 4/14/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek 4/14/2012

My Friend and kayak mentor Harry V, moved back to the Maryland area and wanted to go catch catfish close to home in the Maryland waters. We decided on Mattawoman Creek for our outing. We had one angler who was not to familiar with Kayak Fishing. Mattawoman was a great and protected area for him to get his feet wet in the fine art of fishing from a kayak.

The weather forecast all over the region was great. Morning temperatures were around 49 degrees by 8:00 am. They would sore up to 73 degrees. The winds were predicted to pick up in the afternoon. I got to the ramp at 7:30am. Harry, his son, and a friend got to the ramp around 8:00am.

It was a beautiful sunny day. we launched and fished to the right of the boat ramp. We caught a couple of cats there. Since fishing was slow initially, Harry went south to the mouth of a small creek. Me and the other two guys went North to the left of the ramp and fished in eye sight of the sunken barge. Harry would meet us there later. We stayed there for the rest of the day. Fishing was very good there as long as the tide was moving. Anchoring was very helpful in catching more fish. The hot bait today was fresh shrimp on a top and bottom saltwater rig, night crawlers came in second. My bloodworms that I had was shown no love by the fish. I even tried a cut perch as bait, but that was no way as good as the shrimp.

I saw many kayakers and bass boats out on the water today. I think there might have been a bass tournament, since they were so many bass boats around. There were more boats there than usual. I saw two other kayak fishermen fishing when I was heading back to shore. I also saw a group of 8 kayakers (men and women) touring around and taking pictures. It was a nice day for everyone to be out.

By 1:30pm we started to head back, since we all had afternoon appointments. All in all, we all caught fish. We caught many species. A 5 pound bass, very large bluegills, white perch, channel cats, blue cats, and flathead cats. Harry caught the largest cats down to the right of the boat ramp near a creek that fed into Mattawoman. The biggest cat measured around 23 inches each. His son caught the bass by accident by snagging it in the gills! He had to be very careful in pulling it in and not loosing it. No one was skunked today. The winds did kick up in the afternoon, but we were heading back anyway.

Well, a good time was had by all and our new kayak angler did not turtle his boat.
    Attached Files

nice day, thanks for the report!!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You picked a great day to be on the water.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice! A 5-lb bass! Wow.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thats one fine day of fishing right there. Thanks for the report!

Whats up with all the spots on that first cat? The second one looks like a flathead, only smaller lol...

I need to meet up with one of you mattawoman masters to fish there one of these days. Does the fishing stay pretty good there all summer?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I guess no one threw lures for snakeheads. Anyway, nice report on the no skunk and fun for all trip.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That's a good collection of species. I think brown catfish might be a bullhead rather than a flathead but it's hard to tell from the pic. The lower lip of flatheads sticks out much farther than the upper lip. The head on your fish looks a little too rounded (dome-shaped), too. If it is a bullhead, it's one of the bigger ones I've seen. Did you measure it? The citation for bullheads is 15", and that one looks close. Congrats on the other nice cats, too.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
              X