I evened the score at Mattawoman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I evened the score at Mattawoman

Two weeks ago I fished at Mattawoman with Moc and Rockchaser. It was my first time targetting catfish. Both of my fishing partners caught plenty of catfish, but I did not get a single bite.

That failure has been gnawing away at me. I took advantage of today's beautiful weather to return to Mattawoman for Round 2. The outcome today was in my favor -- 5 blue catfish with the last one being a real whopper at 29". That fish pulled and pulled on my bottom rig. It had a huge head and mouth.

I read the reports of some of the more successful catfish catchers and tried to modify my technique to use their methods. Today I anchored up in 10 ft of water. I used a standard wire bottom rig and circle hooks. I baited with raw table shrimp on one hook and nightcrawlers on the other hook. Both baits caught cats today.

I also caught one young largemouth earlier in the morning. Although I had my baits in the water for 3-4 hours, all the bites came in one 90-minute period.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Don't you just love it when you go back and get'um? Congrats!
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Well done, John. A 30" fish is a good way to even the score, too. I'm surprised the top and bottom rig held up to the big cat. I've had them break unexpectedly after getting bent.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good deal, John! I have never had any luck with catfish on standard bottom rigs- only way I have ever had any luck is by using fish finder rigs baited with big river minnows, chicken livers, chunks of bunker or cut bait with circle hooks- you did it the hard way and made it look easy-

Your "stick-to-itness" has inspired me- I'll keep trying to catch Mattawoman snakeheads until I get my big ugly fish-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

CIRCLE HOOKS...AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Lost 4 fish on them at Bushwood and swore to never use them again. Did not miss one fish with 5/0 baitholder.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nicely done John.

So what's next on the catch list?
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

nice fish john!!! well done

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                CIRCLE HOOKS...AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Lost 4 fish on them at Bushwood and swore to never use them again. Did not miss one fish with 5/0 baitholder.
                folks having problems with circle hooks are used to using standard fish hooks and have a fine tuned system of striking to set hooks- you NEVER set the hook with a circle hook- just take up the slack and hang on-if you try to set the hook, the hook just slips out without sticking to anything- it is the gradual pressure that causes the hook to dig into the corner of the mouth- pull hard on the rod when you feel the fish and it just bounces off- and you leave the point of a circle hook exposed- don't bury it in the bait- I use circle hooks to prevent gut hooking fish
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I have never had any luck with catfish on standard bottom rigs- only way I have ever had any luck is by using fish finder rigs baited with big river minnows, chicken livers, chunks of bunker or cut bait with circle hooks- you did it the hard way and made it look easy-
                  -
                  The last time I tried, I used a fish finder rig and fresh menhaden chunks. I did not have any luck. Today I decided to go with two hooks on a bottom rig. The rigs I used today are slightly heavier than the inexpensive silver ones. I also fished two poles with bottom rigs at the same time, plus a third rod with a jighead and a Gulp minnow (no bites on the Gulp).

While those 5 baits were in the water, I cast a light rod and lure toward some structure. I had a few quick taps on the lure, but nothing hooked up.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    folks having problems with circle hooks are used to using standard fish hooks and have a fine tuned system of striking to set hooks- you NEVER set the hook with a circle hook- just take up the slack and hang on-if you try to set the hook, the hook just slips out without sticking to anything- it is the gradual pressure that causes the hook to dig into the corner of the mouth- pull hard on the rod when you feel the fish and it just bounces off- and you leave the point of a circle hook exposed- don't bury it in the bait- I use circle hooks to prevent gut hooking fish
                    Both of the rods with bait were placed in the rod holders and were not picked up until I saw the line tighten and the tip shake. All five cats hooked themselves very firmly. Of course the 29" fish put a serious bend in the rod and took out line before I had a chance to pick up the rod.

For nearly 20 years, I have used only thin-wire small circle hooks for my early summer bottom fishing (spot, croaker, perch). I typically leave the rods in the holders and the fish hook themselves.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                      Nicely done John.

So what's next on the catch list?
                      I don't have a new target species in mind yet. I am leaving Thurs morning to spend a few days in Ft Myers, FL. I have half-day kayak fishing trips set up for Fri morning and Sat morning. Maybe I can catch a new-to-me species there.

I started fishing late in life and focused almost exclusively on saltwater fishing. As a result, there are plenty of relatively common freshwater species that I have never or rarely caught. I imagine that my next target species will be a freshwater species.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm and comeraderie that MKF members display. I think that I will find plenty of fishing partners and opportunities to keep adding species to my list.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

WTG!! Congrats on the MD catfish! Good pullage....
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                        X