Flats 4-18 12 stripers, mixed sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats 4-18 12 stripers, mixed sizes

Headed out early this morning to give it a shot in hopes of a good bite. Awesome sunrise today.

I started with top water poppers but switched soon after as the wind was stronger then anticipated with a nice chop going.

I switched over to trolling tube/worms and had my first hookup of the day soon after, a 15". Hooked up again a little while later with a dink. Shortly after I picked up a healthy 25". Things got slow as the tide went slack so I headed over to the eastern side to check things out. My fishfinder died on the way there as I forgot to charge my battery, not good.

Ran into Cliff on his yellow PA and watched him pickup a nice LMB. He also said he picked up a few stripers as well. I was amazed as to how stable the PA was. He was standing up quite a bit, impressive yak. He mentioned that HJS was out there as well.

Jigged for a few with no takers and decided to work my way back to HDG and the bite got really hot. I picked up a mixed bag of stripers up to a fiesty and fat 27 -28" . Made one last stop at the last green channel marker and did pickup 1 dink jigging a chartruese BA.

Fun day on the yak, even without my FF for most of the day

Minh
    Attached Files

Nice work! Those are some good looking fish!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Fatty! Nice job!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah, nice looking fish. Good work.

When are you allowed to keep rocks caught up there?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks everyone. You should all try and fish here soon if you get a chance. All bass species have been running quite well lately.

May 16th the flats open to (1) fish per day slot (18 - 26"). Closed to all striper fishing May 4 - 15th. June 1st is (2) per day.

Minh

Comment

Originally posted by MTDluvsFishin View Post
            Thanks everyone. You should all try and fish here soon if you get a chance. All bass species have been running quite well lately.

May 16th the flats open to (1) fish per day slot (18 - 26"). Closed to all striper fishing May 4 - 15th. June 1st is (2) per day.

Minh
            Thanks, it's on my calendar.

BTW, have you fished with HokieDJ and I at HRBT before?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

No sir, not me. Pretty new to the Kayak fishing scene. Really enjoying the yak since I've had it.

Pretty much been a land and sand fisherman for sometime.

Be happy to join you if you're ever in the area.

Comment

Nice going. Glad you are back out fishing.

Comment

Way to go with those fat stripers! It was nice running into you on the water. I ended up with 5 stripers and that 2lb LMB. However, HJS had the most amazing day on the water. He caught 56 (YES 56!) Stripers. I do not think any were over 30 inches. After that catching all those stripers, he was leaving and caught a catfish on his homemade jig. I have never seen anyone single handily dominate an area with 10 or more boats swarming around us in a circle. It was quite the site.
                  Cliff Williams
                  Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

That is impressive! What was he throwing that was so different? Sorry again about snagging your Redfin and getting you all excited!

Minh looks like a great day on the water! I wish I lived closer or I would be there every night right now. What did you tip your tube with?
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice meeting you as well. Good lord, was he jigging for all those? My arms would be exhausted after 56 of any species. Nice catch guys

Comment

4" chartreuse and glitter paddle tail swimbait on a jighead.
                        Cliff Williams
                        Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          That is impressive! What was he throwing that was so different? Sorry again about snagging your Redfin and getting you all excited!

Minh looks like a great day on the water! I wish I lived closer or I would be there every night right now. What did you tip your tube with?
                          I live like 7min from here. Been out a good bit with decent results (except my double skunk fri - Sat) Bloodworms. If I had more I probably would have caught twice as many. The bite got hot fast. When I ran out I tried some curly tails but didn't pan out. LMB and Smallie fishing has been pretty good as well.

Awesome fish from the tourney by the way! Mount worthy. If I get a 50 I'm having a mount made, fake one after the release!

Comment

damn, amazing!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Hey guys - I'm getting too old to fish as hard as I did today AND write a report. I'll do the report tomorrow... I'm going back to bed. ZZZZZZZZ
                              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X