Striper Locations on Potomac between Woodrow Wilson and Southern MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper Locations on Potomac between Woodrow Wilson and Southern MD

I am curious. I don't actually plan to target them...but there are stripers in April/May on the Potomac River at Fletchers and also in Southern MD, correct?

If so, are they also in the river between Woodrow Wilson and Southern MD? The reason I ask is that I have fished at Aquia, Nanjemoy and Mattowoman for bass, etc. I have never seen, or recall, a striper from these areas.

Is it that they are only upriver as far as Fletcher's for the spawn and then they retreat to lower Potomac and higher salinity, etc?

When not spawning you’ll find that stripers are normally south of the 301 bridge. Not that you can’t find them above The 301, but their primary food sources have moved back into saltier water. I’ve never targeted them above St Clements Island, but I do know there is a winter fishery at the power plant (supposed to be permanently shut down in next year or two). With the major construction occurring for the new bridge I don’t think the marina is open so launching at the 301 isn’t an option.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

The reason you don't hear about the striper spots is because those who know where they are can keep a secret. A few spots to consider are Pasquahanza Flats, just south of the power plant. not accessable till Aqualand reopens. Nanjemoy Creek mouth on the southern end. Accessible from Friendship Landing. Look up Arkendale Flats, just south of Marshall Hall ramp. Fish it like Susquahanna with large jerkbaits and #15 or #17 tonys. All of the spawners at Fletcher's swim all the way up the river. there are rest areas all along the way. Remembeer, when the keep season opens it remains closed above 301. bridge

Comment

Blue Plains treatment facility. Yes, gross, yes urban, not scenic, but can be productive all year round with stripers if you just want to get something on the line. Largemouth fishing can be good there as well along with, some walleye, white perch, crappy and catfish (if you care for those things). I have not fished it in 2 years as I've moved from the area. I've had many outstanding days and nights fishing there. Very small area. If you are using a peddle drive watch out for all the obstructions.

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Thank you everyone. This forum is great.

Comment

Was the Aqualand Marina at 301 bridge a public launch? Did you have to pay to launch a kayak there?
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Aqua land was a private company. I've paid to launch a small CC out of there to fish the power plant discharge in the winter, years ago. I'm sure it's really changed with all the bridge construction
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

One thing to note, while striper catch and release is closed in Maryland waters for the month of April, it is still legal to target them for catch and release in the Potomac this month.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                X