Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering motorized kayak in MD

Hi all,

I’ve decided to add a trolling motor capability to my 2015 Hobie Outback. So, I need to register it in Maryland now. Maryland seems to make it a bit more confusing than it should be, and they don’t give a POC for questions. They just want me to mail everything in or go to an MVA kiosk. Basic question, I don’t need to pay an excise tax, or penalties since 2015 do I? I paid the normal state tax when I bought it in Maryland way back when. Do I pay for the 2 Year Documented Use Decal? I assume that’s the Maryland box showing the registration, but am not sure. I would appreciate advice from anyone whose done this, it shouldn’t be difficult for a kayak.

thanks,

Ted

Maryland does not charge for electric motor stickers. Hopefully you kept a record from when you bought it to prove you paid the 6%, they love collecting that tax as frequently as possible. There’s no penalty for deferring registering it.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks Mike,

I’m hoping that Backyard Boats will have a copy of the receipt for me.

Comment

Hi I just did that last week, in Fredrick cost was 7 dollars total. All I had was a piece paper that came with my kayak that had the year, make, and model along with the serial number, I took a picture of the serial number on the boat but they didnt ask for it. I filled out the paper work there too. Took all of about 15 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwsweck View Post
          Hi I just did that last week, in Fredrick cost was 7 dollars total. All I had was a piece paper that came with my kayak that had the year, make, and model along with the serial number, I took a picture of the serial number on the boat but they didnt ask for it. I filled out the paper work there too. Took all of about 15 mins.
          good info, thank you. I will see if there’s an office nearby me. That sounds a lot easier.

Comment

I've registered 4 of them..... What you will need as it is not previously titled......

Filled out form B240.... most confusing is what part to fill out.
            Certificate of Origin
            Bill of sale

Fees: 5% excise tax
            $2.00 Title free
            https://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Pag...istration.aspx

Comment

Thank you. I have a meeting with DNR tomorrow in Annapolis. I couldn’t find my certificate for the 2015 Hobie and they said no problem, bring a photo of the kayak, and another photo of the serial number, along with the sales receipt. The receipt is to show that I paid taxes on it which will negate the excise tax, and the photos are to show proof that it exists. Along with the B240, which is indeed confusing, and $2 I will be good to go. I’m also registering my new sea eagle 420x inflatable but fortunately I have the certificate for it. Thanks all.

Comment

Just purchased a toqueedo…this means I have to register my kayak now?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Myrodandreel View Post
                  yep, afraid so. Fortunately it’s easy, if you still have the certificate, and not much harder if you don’t, and cheap.
                  Last edited by Ted H; 07-01-2022, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrodandreel View Post
                    Also its a one to cost, following years registrations dont cost anything and are easy to register via DNR Compass.

Comment

I got my Vibe SeaGhost in 2019... went fishing a bunch with it...
                      Vibe provided all the details for registering etc ie complete documentation.

But I never looked for the required VIN number that would be needed.

In 2020 I sold my house and went total "on the road" kayak fishing.
                      And got a Torqueedo.. just prior.

Still in Maryland hunkered down mostly at Point Lookout...
                      it was a pain staking process with Covid and the offices open only once
                      a week with no appointments... only snail mail and phone calls.

Back and forth... snail mail and once a week phone calls...

Having a "picture" of the VIN was a major set back... while I had all other documentation.
                      I had never seen any thing where the VIN was supposed to be as I had flipped the
                      kayak over many times for the previous year I had the Vibe kayak.

I told DNR "I can't find it..." "It's not there..."...."I have all the bill of sale... shipping documentation...
                      Back and forth...

Delays and delays.. with Covid... and I was getting worried as the fall was approaching
                      and I would leave Maryland waters and wanted desperately to be cool in southern waters
                      with the Torqeedo.

All the Maryland DNR police I would see on the water were really cool when I saw
                      them, as they are always... and told me they don't harsh down on people...

Calls to Vibe kept telling me where it should be etched in the "plastic"...
                      But NO... still couldn't find it.

While driving around the campground I spotted two Vibe Seaghost 10's...
                      finally meeting the people I asked if I may inspect their kayaks for the VIN's.

There they were... deeply etched in the hull where I had been told as such.

Man... I thought what gives.... ??? with my kayak.
                      How can this be... where's my VIN... time is cutting close to exit MD...

I thought... what would Magnum PI do... House the hospital detective...
                      With the kayak on top of the car...
                      Well I "dusted" for "prints"... with gravel dust on the ground.

And there it was my VIN... as though ants had etched it out.I got my Vibe SeaGhost in 2019... went fishing a bunch with it...
                      Vibe provided all the details for registering etc ie complete documentation.

But I never looked for the required VIN number that would be needed.

In 2020 I sold my house and went total "on the road" kayak fishing.
                      And got a Torqueedo.. just prior.

Still in Maryland hunkered down mostly at Point Lookout...
                      it was a pain staking process with Covid and the offices open only once
                      a week with no appointments... only snail mail and phone calls.

Back and forth... snail mail and once a week phone calls...

Having a "picture" of the VIN was a major set back... while I had all other documentation.
                      I had never seen any thing where the VIN was supposed to be as I had flipped the
                      kayak over many times for the previous year I had the Vibe kayak.

I told DNR "I can't find it..." "It's not there..."...."I have all the bill of sale... shipping documentation...
                      Back and forth...

Delays and delays.. with Covid... and I was getting worried as the fall was approaching
                      and I would leave Maryland waters and wanted desperately to be cool in southern waters
                      with the Torqeedo.

All the Maryland DNR police I would see I the water were really cool when I saw
                      them, as they are always... and told me they don't harsh down on people...

Calls to Vibe kept telling me where it should be etched in the "plastic"...
                      But NO... still couldn't find it.

While driving around the campground I spot tow Vibe Seaghost 10's...
                      finally meeting the people I asked if I may inspect their kayaks for the VIN's.

There they were... deeply etched in the hull where I had been told as such.

Man... I thought what gives.... ??? with my kayak.
                      How can this be... where's my VIN... time is cutting close to exit MD...

I thought... what would Magnum PI do... House the hospital detective...
                      With the kayak on top of the car...
                      Well I "dusted" for "prints"... with gravel dust on the ground.

And there it was my VIN... as though ants had etched it out.

By now DNR knew my pretty well... I sent off the required picture..
                      they bumped me up the line priority and sent my stickers.

Smooth sailing since, and no problems giving them an out of
                      state address for new registration.

Here is a story back in 2020 after I left Southern Maryland....
                      with my old homemade camper.. I have since upgraded..
                      http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/kayak...rd/index.shtml

Here is a day down OBX... with a storm coming through last winter....

I'll post some more belated stories....
                      Tightlines...
                      Kayak Rob
                      Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-01-2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Rob,

that’s quite a story, what a bummer you had to go through with that. In my case I didn’t have the certificate that should have come with my Hobie. But DNR said to take a photo of the VIN and bring in the sales receipt showing that I paid taxes on it. My vin was etched in with tiny pin prick dots. They were so faint they didn’t show well on the pic, but I could see it on my phone by really tweaking the contrast. In the end they copied over the numbers on the print out with a pen and called it good enough. BTW, for others, if you don’t have your sales receipt showing you paid tax on the boat, DNR will help you come up with a fair used market value of it and charge you tax on that.

Comment

Working...
                        X