First time to the Choptank, any input welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time to the Choptank, any input welcome

Hey all. I'm pretty familiar with the western shore, a tiny bit familiar with the Blackwater, but never have I ever the Choptank. Headed over in a couple weeks with my 11 year old, staying at Martinak for a few days. He loves the water but is not an accomplished paddler.

Eager to hear if anyone may have any recommendations from launches to restaurants. I assume we should be able to target cats and snakehead---not sure if there's sneks high up the Choptank though, maybe perch?

I can also bring my bay boat if the consensus is that kayaks might be too dangerous for a kiddo with the weather the way it has been, we can also bop down to the Transquaking or something if folks think that's a better idea.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Hello WV,

I have been fishing Martinak since I was a child. We used to fish off the bulkhead, casting into the channel, before the lily pads. We eventually tired of boats snagging our lines and lost a few rods to boats pulling them into the water.

Martinak has a nice launch. Upstream from the launch is protected water and just around the corner I had a lot of success catching catfish. I have had more success catching catfish than at Martinak than any other location in the area.

Downstream from the launch, there is also good fishing with the lily pads holding largemouth. I have never seen a snakehead in person, and know nothing about them.

You can paddle downstream a good ways (although I always head upstream) while still being in sheltered water.

Tight lines

Comment

I've never been but I would think there should be snakeheads in the area. If you're staying at the campground I'd start by heading up Watt's Creek, look for shallow areas that warm up quickly and target lily pads and any fallen wood. Focus on ambush points like edges of lily pad fields, any gaps/holes/cuts in the pad fields, etc. Snakeheads like to hold tight to the heavy cover so use weedless lures like hollow body frogs or paddle tail swimbaits rigged weedless on a weighted hook.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

AWESOME you all are champs!!

Any idea if there are any bait shops in the area? I see Hebron Food Rite but that's kind of a trek.
        2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

I am not familiar with bait shops in the area. I would always stop at Anglers in Annapolis for fresh herring. If they didn't have fresh herring, I would try a grocery store. If all else failed, I would use frozen herring. In my experience it is not quite as effective and it doesn't stay on the hook as well, but I had more success with herring than any other bait at Martinak

Comment

The boat ramp at Martinak state park was closed last August for an estimated 12 months. You cannot launch a boat or a kayak there at this point. See Martinak State Park (maryland.gov) for more info.

The Choptank is a really long river. I have fished it at various spots from the mouth (brackish, tidal, and wide) all the way up to the end of navigation (just upstream of Greensboro, where the river is much smaller, fresh, and still tidal).

If you are going to the upper portions of the Choptank, the closest bait and tackle shop is Denton Rod and Tackle at 10309 New Bridge Rd, Denton. I have bought minnows from them previously.

There are several/many launches along the extent of the Choptank. I suggest a Google search to find ones in the area where you want to go. Some of the ramps may require permits from the county. In some cases, permits are needed only when you use a trailer. In other cases (e.g., Queen Annes Co), you need a permit to park any vehicle at the ramp.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Oh no…that’s a buzzkill. Smallwood is closed all year too, that’s why we aren’t going there.

also I just realized my license is coastal/tidal, I’m gonna need to upgrade…

thanks everyone.
              2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

According to the Go Paddling app, you can launch at the Daniel Crouse Memorial Park in Denton, which is right off 404. There are also a couple of launches upriver in Greensboro, and one downriver of Denton called Ganey's Wharf. The Go Paddling app is a great resource.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Thank you for correcting me about the launch, John.

Nice recommendation Cliff. I just installed the app and it immediately showed me the closest five launches from my current location. Thank you

Comment

App acquired, thanks all. I wish the weather was more predictable!
                    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

This has been the worst spring for wind and weekend cold fronts in some time. The cold fronts should have as much affect moving forward as it warms up, but this wind needs to cool it!
                      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                      X