Opening day - personal records set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening day - personal records set

We've all had our calendars marked for weeks and opening day finally arrived yesterday. I did a bit of shallow water trolling and set a few records for myself.

I got word from a friend of a hot bite in the main bay yesterday morning, so when my day's schedule opened up I headed to that location to fish for the afternoon. I was on the water around 1:30pm and it took me some time to find the fish, I only got 3 or 4 tiny ones sporadically. Eventually I located the school and it was non-stop action from then on. I fished until it got dark, including through a moderate-heavy rain storm for the better part of 2 hours thanks to my new drysuit.

I set two records for myself yesterday: First, I landed the most fish in a single trip with 91 rockfish in the boat. I still can't believe there was such consistent action all day long. Sizes ranged from micro (~8") to upper 20's. Most fish fell somewhere between 18-22" and were great fun on medium spinning rods. My arms were sore from reeling in so many fish.

Second, I broke my kayak PB with a 27.25" rockfish. I don't think this is my largest ever - I caught that from a boat and I don't have exact measurements - but it is definitely my biggest from a kayak. Towards the end of the trip I had a really large fish on the line, I fought it for several minutes and them it came off the hook. When I reeled in my lure I saw that it had straightened one of my hooks out... I wonder just how big that fish was.

I hope everyone else had some success on opening day! I know I'm glad to have this fishery open again, I was getting a little tired of chasing moody snakeheads.

I didn't take many pictures because of the rain and my smartphone would not respond to my wet hands, but I took a few. Here's the big fish of the day, 27 incher:

20220501_191324.jpg

Here's a nice 23 incher. I caught at least 4 or 5 fish between 21 and 23 inches that looked like carbon copies of each other:

20220501_182317.jpg

Many times throughout the day both of my rods would go down at exactly the same time, I didn't always land both fish but it the double headers were fun:

20220501_150939.jpg

Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Good job Dsaavedra! Just Wonderful. Way to stick it out. In the rain. While I knew the season was starting yesterday my calendar wasn’t marked for rockfish.I make make one or two efforts to target them in a year.

91 rockfish landed is a great accomplishment! Those fish were hungry.

Comment

Absolutely awesome. Well done.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

That is an amazing day of fishing!! Congrats! Dang, I started my day shad fishing on the Patuxent, and had planned to spend the afternoon fishing for striped bass but scrapped those plans when I saw that storm was coming. Clearly a big mistake on my part!
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Dave - Congratulations on a very memorable outing. If you get to the right spot at this time of year, large catches like you had are a possibility. I fished with Walleye Pete today and caught many stripers during the trip. Nearly all were above 18" and fat. Near the end of the trip, I hooked a really large striper (estimated at 35" to 40" based on similar catches Pete had in recent days). It made a huge swirl at the surface, then took off fast pulling line off the reel. 30 seconds later, the hook pulled loose. When I wound in the sturdy Trout Eye jighead, I noticed that the hook had been partially straightened out -- the first time I ever experienced that with the Trout Eye jigheads.

I will be kayak fishing in southern Maryland waters during the next two days and hope to find fish like you did.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went back out last night to a different nearby location and did not do quite as well. I "only" caught 17. Still a great trip but it had a slow start. I did not find any fish on my normal deep and shallow trolling routes at this location. I have had my eye on one very shallow location with lots of structure for over a year but have never visited it. I always thought this spot would be great for topwater as the sun was going down. Last night I tried this spot for the first time and sure enough the schoolies were stacked up and feeding on very tiny baitfish, just like I thought they'd be. I caught all my fish, up to 25.5", at this spot casting small hardbaits. They were really hammering the lures too, there's nothing like the feeling of a hard strike while you're holding the rod.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Dave - Congratulations on a very memorable outing. If you get to the right spot at this time of year, large catches like you had are a possibility. I fished with Walleye Pete today and caught many stripers during the trip. Nearly all were above 18" and fat. Near the end of the trip, I hooked a really large striper (estimated at 35" to 40" based on similar catches Pete had in recent days). It made a huge swirl at the surface, then took off fast pulling line off the reel. 30 seconds later, the hook pulled loose. When I wound in the sturdy Trout Eye jighead, I noticed that the hook had been partially straightened out -- the first time I ever experienced that with the Trout Eye jigheads.

I will be kayak fishing in southern Maryland waters during the next two days and hope to find fish like you did.
            Sounds like a great trip John. Good luck in SOMD, I'll be interested to hear how you do. I have been thinking about making a couple trips down there in the next few weeks.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Congrats Dave - great job and thanks for the report!
              Nick
              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm thinking about going out for some after hours fishing either Wednesday and Thursday night. Debating between launching at Sandy Point, or going across the Bay to one of the Queen Anne County launches, which I believe allow for night fishing. I wish there were more launches on this side of the Bay that allowed for fishing after dark.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

90+ fish! Holy cow. Sounds like a good ole time. Congrats on a very successful outing.
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

WTG! That's more fish than I catch in a year.
                    Native Slayer 12
                    Native Ultimate

Comment

Dave...Congratulations!! After that last snakehead trip, you deserve a win and it sounds like you got it brother!! I am scanning Walmarts for the bargain bins....

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                        Dave...Congratulations!! After that last snakehead trip, you deserve a win and it sounds like you got it brother!! I am scanning Walmarts for the bargain bins....
                        Haha, I felt the same way
                        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Working...
                        X