PB on PB - 2022.05.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB on PB - 2022.05.15

Driving over the bay bridge around 6:30am yesterday, I was enveloped in a deep fog and wondered how the day would go.

Met with Dave S and launched into Eastern Bay around 7am. I caught my PB striper from a kayak at 31.5". All in all, 36 stripers landed and released. What was unusual for me (other than the PB), was that more than 30 of the 36 stripers came on crankbaits, not paddletails.

Every fish was caught trolling. Each time we came upon fish, I tried casting to them but ...nada. As soon as I started trolling again...fish on.

First day fishing from kayak in 6 months....if it hadn't been for Dave inviting me, I would not have had the motivation to get out on the water yesterday. Now, I am "Hooked" :---)
    Attached Files

Great fish. Crank baits absolutely work, I’m generally too lazy to change out the treble hooks and don’t like dealing with them. Good time for big fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congrats again on the PB Rob, awesome fish!

It was a fun morning to go fishing. Comfortable air temps, overcast, no wind to speak of, a good outgoing tide, and the fog made it interesting. I put 40 fish in the boat and, like you, had most success trolling. I'd stop and cast after getting multiple trolling bites in the same spot but I had limited success casting. I don't know what it is about a trolled lure but they usually seem to prefer it. Maybe they can see it coming from a long way and follow it for a while before committing to bite, I'm not sure.

My fish ranged from about 7" (lol):

20220515_095636.jpg

To 25", and everything in between:

20220515_104055.jpg

Nothing comes close to that big fish of yours! I was happy to be there and witness it.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I wouldn't have been there without you and I wouldn't have been using crankbaits without you Dave. It was a team win for sure!!

Comment

Rob - You caught a fish that you will remember for years. Excellent catch! And Dave had a very successful outing too. Good job guys!
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dang, that's a whale Rob! Congrats to both on a great outing. Never personally fished a crankbait from the the yak but may have to give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post

First day fishing from kayak in 6 months....if it hadn't been for Dave inviting me, I would not have had the motivation to get out on the water yesterday. Now, I am "Hooked" :---)
              Meant to add this - I went out for the first time in 6+ months yesterday too after motivating myself through watching fishing videos in the morning. Knowing that it takes a few trips to get back in the swing, I launched into Curtis Creek around 3:00 and stayed out till 5:30. Perfect amount of time to just get a line wet, not overtax myself, and catch a few rock. The biggest was around 20", so nothing like what you guys managed to haul in.

Comment

Scorchy....pretty sure you gave me a paddle tie down and some Gulps last year....next crankbait is on me, brother!

Comment

Congratulations on the beautiful fish! The photos capture your unbridled joy. I have yet to break the 30" mark in a kayak. Maybe this season
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                  Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                  Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                  Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Congrats fellas - Rob what a fish !! Awesome work out there.
                    Nick
                    2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks everyone. I had just recieved the crankbaits and I haven't switched out the treble hooks for single hooks. Every fish released was in good shape, but I still feel that I need to change the hooks. Despite the PB and a good outing, I had a lot of user error all day. I got lost and treble hooks were catching everything inside the yak...the net, the drybag, my clothes, etc. Looks like I am going to have to watch some youtube videos and get some split ring pliers?

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                        Scorchy....pretty sure you gave me a paddle tie down and some Gulps last year....next crankbait is on me, brother!
                        Appreciate it, man. Maybe you can then teach me how to fish with them...

I managed to replace the trebles on the 3-4 I own yesterday without much difficulty. Actually catching anything was a whole 'nother matter.

Comment

It will be my pleasure to provide you with a crankbait, "teach you" how to fish with it and then watch you catch all the fish :---) I am planning to start hitting Solley's again regularly, although this Saturday, I cannot help wanting to return to the "scene of the crime" where I caught the 31.5" last week :--)

Comment

Congrats on the PB, Rob!! That's a heck of a fish. I'd be out there fishing for rockfish myself this weekend if not for the insane hear we're going to have. If this weekend's forecast is a preview of the summer to come, I'm going to have to take up night fishing!
                            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                            X