Found trout again in slower lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found trout again in slower lower

The last 10 days have been difficult fishing to say the least. Just managing a few schoolies and some perch, but no trout. Went to a different spot today and fished the incoming tide. Did 2 things, brought in cleaner water and pushed the giant mats of floating grass back into the creeks. Started out catching some schoolies but the pattern was the same, one here or there but not schooled. As the tide started to slow I got my first trout in a while on 1/4 oz jighead with limetreuse.
    4CA963E0-283A-4862-B395-BEF0F3933D12.jpg
    I then moved to a spot where we’ve done well in the past and got this nice one.
    B5929D7C-CAE9-4592-B611-C931D510FE58.jpg
    The next bite was another trout that cut the line. I put on a 1/8 oz that I had handy. All of a sudden no bites until a CNR mercifully took that lure from me. Put on 1/4oz and immediately another trout. Even though only over 4’ of water, they wanted it deeper, even if deeper was only another foot. Ended day 7rocks, 3 trout, 1 CNR, and a gorgeous sunrise
    BD2B92BB-C734-4B7D-BAA2-2C5091920D79.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Nice work Mike. That sunrise is beautiful.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks for the report Mike. That is a really nice trout.

Comment

Beautiful trout and sunrise Big Mike!

Comment

Nice going Mike, alway nice to find fish where you think they should be!
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            The last 10 days have been difficult fishing to say the least. Just managing a few schoolies and some perch, but no trout. Went to a different spot today and fished the incoming tide. Did 2 things, brought in cleaner water and pushed the giant mats of floating grass back into the creeks. Started out catching some schoolies but the pattern was the same, one here or there but not schooled. As the tide started to slow I got my first trout in a while on 1/4 oz jighead with limetreuse.
            4CA963E0-283A-4862-B395-BEF0F3933D12.jpg
            I then moved to a spot where we’ve done well in the past and got this nice one.
            B5929D7C-CAE9-4592-B611-C931D510FE58.jpg
            The next bite was another trout that cut the line. I put on a 1/8 oz that I had handy. All of a sudden no bites until a CNR mercifully took that lure from me. Put on 1/4oz and immediately another trout. Even though only over 4’ of water, they wanted it deeper, even if deeper was only another foot. Ended day 7rocks, 3 trout, 1 CNR, and a gorgeous sunrise
            BD2B92BB-C734-4B7D-BAA2-2C5091920D79.jpg
            Excellent Mike, nice going. What's with the slow striper fishing? The trout down here are on the move north. I don't see them in the numbers I did earlier. Tried a bridge I've been meaning to try in the ICW on Sunday. First cast, a decent trout. Thought this is going to be great......then not another bite at the bridge. Although I did find a spot with a bunch of tailing black drum.
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

Mike - I'm glad to hear that trout have returned to your local waters. They certainly eluded me last week when I was there. Your comments about changing the weight of the jighead make a lot of sense. During the past decade, I made dozens of fishing trips in Tampa Bay with a local kayak guide. Trout were targets on many of those trips. He told me that trout like grass beds and tend to be close to the bottom. By getting your lure slightly deeper, you improved your opportunities. Well done.

I fish primarily in shallow water. When trolling, I try to choose lure weight and trolling speed so I can keep the lure in the lower half of the water column but not touching the bottom where it can pick up debris or hang up in the grass. In 3' to 4' depths, this can be a challenge.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

Excellent Mike, nice going. What's with the slow striper fishing? The trout down here are on the move north. I don't see them in the numbers I did earlier. Tried a bridge I've been meaning to try in the ICW on Sunday. First cast, a decent trout. Thought this is going to be great......then not another bite at the bridge. Although I did find a spot with a bunch of tailing black drum.
                Just like your trout are moving north, the stripers here move up the bay and much further north from our St Mary’s waters. An occasional decent one still around but more of a nursery fishery for stripers. The size of the trout has made up for it. Still waiting on puppy’s to appear.

Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                X