Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on how last night's rain may affect tidal fishing for the next few days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on how last night's rain may affect tidal fishing for the next few days?

I was planning to do some tidal fishing this weekend. I am curious if the heavy rain last night will affect local waters, such as Solley's for example. Any thoughts are, as always, appreciated. Thank you

I suspect that last night's rain should not have lingering impacts by the weekend. In tidal waters, several tidal exchanges usually take care of runoff. I was in the Severn this morning and saw almost no muddied water.

One thing to consider is how developed the watershed is surrounding the place you want to fish. If a large percentage of the land has been developed with hard surfaces and storm drains, the runoff will enter the water bodies faster and may drag sediment with it. Less developed areas will probably have more of the rainfall soaking into the ground.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I agree with J.A Veil. Was at my honey hole during lunch at the back of spa creek catching perch. Not much stained water/debris. The wind was trying to push what ever was in there out. Normally after a hard rain that area is pretty bad.

Comment

I try to avoid more developed water sheds following heavy rains because the general water quality can be seriously degraded. It is not unusual at all for the Potomac and rivers along the western shore to have safety advisories in place after these storms because of sewage overflows. Speaking of which, a massive fish kill was reported in Marley Creek yesterday, with over 50,000 dead menhaden along with several other species. Apparently there was a broken sewage line a week ago that dumped about 10,000 gallons of sewage into its headwaters. So I guess I won't be fishing out of Solley's for a while.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...c3i-story.html
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post
          Speaking of which, a massive fish kill was reported in Marley Creek yesterday, with over 50,000 dead menhaden along with several other species. Apparently there was a broken sewage line a week ago that dumped about 10,000 gallons of sewage into its headwaters. So I guess I won't be fishing out of Solley's for a while.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...c3i-story.html
          That is just infuriating.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
          X