Slow days on the West River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow days on the West River

Friday I did some crabbing in the West River. It was very poor but I also don't know what I'm doing when it comes to crabbing. I run 10 collapsible traps and in 7 hours of crabbing I caught only 9 crabs. I'm sure my choice of crabbing spots had everything to do with my lack of success... unlike fishing I have no intuition for where crabs are likely to be when looking at a depth chart, aerial imagery, or when reading the water.

Saturday I went back and wanted to do some low effort perch fishing. I cast small spinners and rattle traps at bulkheads, rip rap, docks, fallen trees, and natural shorelines. In a couple hours fishing I only managed 5 small white perch. The water was very muddy, I'm not sure why since we haven't had hard rains lately. I couldn't see my lure when it was 6 inches below the surface. I'm certain this contributed to the poor bite. I sort of gave up on the fishing and decided to do some exploring, I took my kayak as far up a creek as I possibly could, to the point where the width of the creek was not much more than the width of my kayak. I was hoping to see snakeheads up there but I saw none. The tide was going out and I was a little nervous I might get stuck up there, but I made it out before the water got too low.

I had a big cownose ray swim right under my kayak. The water was so muddy it couldn't see me (I could not see it, either... all I could see were the very tips of its wings as they broke the surface) I actually thought it was going to hit my Mirage drive but it didn't.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak
Working...
X