Susky Flats, 4-25-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Flats, 4-25-12

I fished the Susky Flats today, Wednesday, 4-25-12, 8:00am to 11:am. I almost didn’t go because of a less than acceptable wind forecast… but I went anyway, and I’m glad that I did. I pushed off from Perryville Park at 8:00am with a dang ~8mph wind directly in my face as I headed in the direction of the fleet just south of Havre de Grace. Took me a while to get there. I shoulda launched at Havre deGrace, would have been half the distance (and 6 more bucks still in my wallet). Once I got near the fleet I started catching right off. Total for today was an even 30 stripers and size range was very similar to my last trip to the Flats on 4-18-12, although I did catch a nice one that measured in at 29”. I caught several in the 25”-27” range, 1.5 dozen in the 20”-25” range and a bunch of smalls, 15”-20”.

Almost all of them hit a 5” albino BA on a .6oz jighead worked herky-jerky just off the bottom in 10’ of water. Others were catching too. At times my FF was showing a lot more stripers than I was catching, so I’m guessing many of them had lock-jaw or were spooked by boat traffic.

By 9:00am the wind had dropped to a near calm and fishing was quite enjoyable and the fish were biting nicely. Once I got fish on 5 consecutive casts. Then ~11:15am, dang-it, a very pesky 10+mph south wind started rather quickly, with whitecaps. So I elected to head back to Perryville Park as fast as I could. It got a little bit hairy out there on the way back. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief as the nose of my canoe hit shore at the take-out. Another great day. Wish I could have stayed another 2 hours.

High tide @ 1:08pm, water vis ~2’+, forgot to check temps.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Looks like I might be hitting the flats again soon
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Congrats Howard on the stiper action again. Anyone interested in heading to the Flats on Saturday? I can only fish Saturday so it looks like if weather is ok, I'm headed there.
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I can't go this weekend, but jeez, wind predicts for Saturday and Sunday look outstanding! 5mph on Saturday and 5-10mph on Sunday. Can't beat that. Good luck to all that go. I'll be dying waiting for reports.

I had a varicose vein treatment today. Fairly painless and simple but I'll be on light duty for several days to a week... and that means no canoe lifting. Drove myself home, no big deal. What was I thinking to schedule this during the C&R season.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

sounds like a really fun fishing trip! congrats

Comment

Launching early (4:30 am) tomorrow out of Tydings park. Look for a yellow PA if anyone makes it out.
            Cliff Williams
            Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff06 View Post
              Launching early (4:30 am) tomorrow out of Tydings park. Look for a yellow PA if anyone makes it out.
              Hey Cliff,
              Be careful out there. Make sure you have a light so you don't get hit by a boat and watch out for the wind. They're calling for 15 to 25 mph winds which can make the flats really rough.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Working...
              X