Fourth of July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fourth of July

Original plan was to head out in the wee morning on Fourth of July to hopefully to beat the boat traffic/water festivities. Sunday night I realized I had to take care of something at home.
    Performed the circus act of getting kayak down the ramp at Lower Marlboro at about 3:30pm. Paddled out to “honey hole” at a record pace of 3.6mph according to depth finder. The swift tail end of an out going tide helped me out greatly. Got to spot. Managed one small channel catfish. Two big hits that didn’t come tight before tide went slack. Dragon flies and feeding minnows kept me busy for a bit.

One hour after incoming tide started, I decided to head back towards ramp.
    Saw good marks in 23 feet of water so anchored up. Good marks ended up being bait stealers. Still trying to get use to sonar.
    Moved out towards known structure in area. Saw lots of activity on sonar. Anchored just up from structure. Had hits but no hook ups on crab and shrimp. Switched bait on one rod to squid and immediately caught a hefty dinner channel catfish.

While reeling in fish, noticed big Grady white walk around headed straight towards me. Boat turned at about 150 yards from me. Threw big wake which rocked anchor loose. Was able to get fish in net and anchor in boat. Reset everything and caught two more dinner blue catfish. Jet skis made for rocky, beautiful sun down. Called it quits after about 4 1/2 hours.

Wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. But I think I will try to make sure I get everything done at home so I’m able to catch the morning bite before it gets busy on the water next time.

You're braver than I am to fish public water on the 4th...
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
    X