Surprise catch while perch fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise catch while perch fishing

With the striper moratorium in place for the next two weeks, I went out this morning in a Severn creek to look for perch. I did not bring any heavier gear -- just light rods and small Bignose spinners. Most of the areas where I fished showed the same slow perch bite as the other Severn areas have done recently. Then I found a 100-yard stretch of shoreline that was mostly shaded. I began catching perch on the spinner. On one cast, the spinner landed under some overhanging branches and did not move. I assumed I had snagged on a submerged branch. Then I saw several swirls, felt a brief pull, then the lure came loose. I wound it in and left the lure in the water. I saw a snakehead swimming next to the lure eyeing it up. It did not bite the lure again and swam away.

I continued perch fishing for another 20 mins then returned to the spot where I had hooked the snakehead. After a few casts, a large fish hit the lure and stayed on this time. I was able to move the kayak away from the trees to the middle of the creek while keeping tension on the line. After tiring the fish out, I brought it next to the kayak. I wanted to get my Fish Grips in its mouth to lift it out of the water, but the fish kept its mouth closed tightly, and I could not insert the Grips. I do not carry a net on my kayaks. The girth of the fish was too large for me to grab it around the body like I do with pickerel. I had one hand on the leader and a rag in my other hand to grab the fish. It made a big lunge, and broke off. I don't know if this was the same snakehead I had hooked a few minutes earlier. In any case, it is only the third snakehead I have ever encountered in Severn waters, and my first snakehead in nearly two years.

snakehead.jpg

I did get a photo showing the fish's head with the small spinner firmly in its jaw. I eyeballed the length of the fish compared to my Hawg Trough -- it was as long as the trough (30") and as big around as my leg.

On the other end of the size spectrum, I caught a 7" long juvenile pickerel -- my smallest in a while.

tiny pickerel.jpg

If fishing remains this successful. I won't mind not fishing for stripers for awhile.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice snakehead. I've personally only ever seen 1 or 2 snakeheads in the Severn, and never caught one. The published fishing reports every week say the Severn and Magothy are up-and-coming snakehead waters. Still, I think they are still nowhere near as populous in these western shore, mid bay rivers as they are in the upper bay rivers, the Blackwater area, and the tidal Potomac. Something about the habitat or environmental conditions in these rivers must not suit them as well.

I know it's a contentious topic, but I really enjoy catching and eating snakehead and I wouldn't mind catching some closer to home. Blackwater is a long drive. According to published literature, the jury is still out on exactly how much and what kind of ecological damage they are doing, and it may vary from location to location, but it seems that they are not doing as much damage as initially suspected 20 some years ago. At any rate, they are certainly here to stay.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Those little spinners sure do catch fish!
      That Snakehead got a little new jewelry to show off and make all her friends jealous!

You really didn't want to have that beast thrashing around in the kayak, anyway!

Comment

John,

I had a similar problem in 2020 when I caught my first snakeheads in Bodkin Creek. One in particular would not open its mouth for me to insert my fish grips. I let it swim around a while to tire it out hoping it would would open its mouth. But it had other ideas. It jumped into my kayak! It thrashed around by my feet until I could grasp the leader to subdue it. Then it finally opened its mouth enough for me to grab it with my fish grips and remove my lure.

Snakeheads will indeed occasionally clamp down on lures. One of my friends who's an excellent snakehead catcher carries a screwdriver just for that contingency to pry open their mouth.

I don't do that, but I have become a net advocate primarily for pickerels. It comes in handy for other species too that are hard to grasp.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

download.jpg [QUOTE=Mark;n324212]John,
          Snakeheads will indeed occasionally clamp down on lures. One of my friends who's an excellent snakehead catcher carries a screwdriver just for that contingency to pry open their mouth.

In that case John could have used that little pickerel to pry open the Snakehead's mouth........lol.

Not a hammer handle, a screwdriver!

You probably saved that little guy from becoming that Snakehead's lunch.

John called his little Pickerel a cigar. If it was this big he'd need a net!
          Last edited by bignose; 07-16-2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I’ve never targeted snakeheads, I think a random catch like yours is my best shot. I do want to try one.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              I’ve never targeted snakeheads, I think a random catch like yours is my best shot. I do want to try one.
              My first snakeheads were on a chartered trip on Mattawoman Creek. I credit the guide with most of the work to put me on the fish. About 4 years ago, I fished near Blackwater a few times and caught one snakehead on my own using a frog lure. Since then, I no longer make trips specifically for snakeheads. 3 of the 4 snakeheads I have caught since then came when I threw a small spinner for perch. I caught perch in a particular spot and made more casts. Then Mr. Snakehead decided to play.

My only other snakehead came in late November in the upper reaches of a tidal river. It was a cold day, and I was casting live minnows on a jighead looking for pickerel and yellow perch. I did catch some of each. Then I hooked a very sluggish but heavy snakehead.

I am not good enough at snakehead fishing to target them. An occasional unintended catch is still fun.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Those jawbreakers definitely seem to be the way to go. As for fish grips, it's my understanding that it is much easier to get a Boga style grip into their mouths than the thicker plastic fish grips that are popular among saltwater anglers.

Dave, I think the slower spread we've seen on the mid-Bay western rivers all comes down to salinity levels, and the connectivity of preferred habitat. Down here our salinity levels are higher, and the habitats they prefer are spread further apart in the backs of creeks so they're less motivated to move about.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                X