7-13 Potomac report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-13 Potomac report

Well, as stated before, my Son and daughter flew in for a 1/2 week. we had the whole family out kayak fishing and Crabbing a few times.
    Little Choptank was a bust, skunked,
    Brooms Island/Nans cove was a bust for fishing,, but wife caught 22 heavy crabs, most of good size.

My Son was flying back west Wed evening,, So I decided to take him to the Potomac Wed AM for some River Smallies.

We launched at 5:30 AM somewhere above Great Falls, worked an area within 1 mile of the launch and returned to the same launch by 11:00
    We had the heavy storms came through Tuesday afternoon-evening,, I was glued online to the river gauges and rain total maps.
    The MD creeks dumping into the Mac doubled to tripled in CFS, not good. The Doah up by Luray and Front Royal rose ~2 inches but came down by 10 pm.
    The Potomac in the area we were going only rose 1/2 - 1"

When we put in, the MD side was tainted with ~1' visibility,, middle of the river was about 1.5' visibility.
    Large Catfish were rolling and jumping at day break.

Smallie fishing was slower than a week ago, I threw a black buz bait and Wee crawl in natural color for an hour with no hits,,
    My Son landed a 16-17" fish in about 10 minutes,, later in the day he got a 18-19" smallie both on the wopper plopper.

I switched to a chartreuse Buzz Bait and Chartreuse Wee crawl and finally landed some smaller fish,, I ended up with about 8 fish in 5 hours, largest for me was 13", most in the 6-9 range.

I put my son in My Coosa HD (34" wide), and I took my wifes Cuda 12 (31" wide)
    The Coosa HD is a stable platform with GREAT rod management for on a river, it has 2 front rod "tubes",, I added 2 in the rear. I can have 4 fully rigged rods strapped in,, I can strap/unstrap the rods in 3-4 seconds each.
    The Cuda 12: I set the seat in high position when we left the ramp,, When I hopped in, I felt like I was trying to sit on a beach ball,, VERY tippy.
    Later in the day I was scooting across a 30' wide fast moving section as I was moving from eddy to eddy. The Cuda barely brushed a submerged rock and dumped my in an instant.

Slow day, but had fun with my son who now lives out west.

DSCN3180.jpg
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Great description of the trip. Glad you found a couple and time with kids is precious.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Glad to hear you finally found some fish after several skunk trips. Hopefully the involuntary swim didn't set you back too far.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        Glad to hear you finally found some fish after several skunk trips. Hopefully the involuntary swim didn't set you back too far.
        The Cuda does not have the rods "strap in" set up the Coosa HD has. After flipping I came up and grabbed the kayak,, then the paddle with my 2 good rods ON top of it came floating buy. I lost my older backup UL set up $60 (5' UL rod with Trion 20 reel)
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
        X