Severn Perch 7/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Perch 7/26

I haven't been doing much perch fishing this year because they have been sparse and on the small side in my local waters. Overall it has just felt like too much work for too little reward to target perch this summer. The reality is I probably got spoiled from the stellar striper fishing I had in the spring, but hey... when it's 100 degrees out and 100% humidity I need a little extra motivation to get out.

Anyway, a colleague who doesn't really fish wanted to go out, so we launched on the Severn looking for perch. The weather was great yesterday and you couldn't ask for better conditions to be on the water. Following some recent reports I received, I targeted rip rap and docks in the main river, not in creeks (I did poke around in one creek and got nada). I managed to catch about 15 or so in a couple hours and had a few others short strikes. About half of the ones I caught were really nice size, way bigger than any that I have caught so far this year. The fish seemed to be in small clusters, I'd catch 3 or 4 at a spot then it would dry up and I'd have to move on. Not the fast and furious perch action we're used to from past years but it was easily my best perch day of the year so far.

The water was pretty murky, but not as bad as I was expecting from the storms the night before. It was also very low, about 2 feet lower than normal. All the sunken wood in the creeks that would have provided good habitat was above water. Tons of jellyfish too. No good pics this time, sorry.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Glad to hear you got into a few. I had a decent perch day in a creek off the Patapsco River a few weeks back. Found them under docks, but it was very hit of miss. I'd either catch a bunch under a given dock, or none at all. It was hard to figure out why specific docks attracted them, and others didn't. Probably had to do with the bottom contours. I hope the decline we've seen in perch numbers is just down to regular fluctuations in spawning recruitment, but I'm concerned that this may driven by the exploding blue catfish population in the Bay.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

I'm glad that you found some Severn perch. They have been tough to find.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X