A taste of fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A taste of fall

For the first time this year I got to fish with Gary. Our happiness in fishing together carried over to the fishing where the cooler temperatures and overcast skies gave us a bang up morning. My first fish in the first spot we fished was a 22.5” striper on a purple and chartreuse paddle tail in maybe 3’ of water. Purple would turn out to be the theme of the day.
    FBD8C92D-6C91-40BB-8EFB-445B436B1CB8.jpg
    Shortly after Gary hooked up with the first of 3 trout over 20” we caught between us. In total I think we got 12 or 13 trout today and 15 to 20 stripers and half a dozen acrobatic bluefish.
    B9AA2F59-621E-4454-88C9-305527832A88.jpg

For the next 2 hours the fishing was very good with a healthy mix of trout and stripers. For some odd reason the fish were concentrated on a featureless sandy bottom stretch in 3’ of water without a lot of bait around. Normally an area where we wouldn’t stop even after catching one, but when we both hooked up, well never leave fish to find fish.
    7C85101B-D072-4657-8B05-47EE944E931C.jpg
    as usual in this spot the sunrise did not disappoint

6A50B4B8-E601-4167-814E-5FBA34C751E3.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Nice work Mike. Good to see a photo of Gary on the fishing grounds.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sounds like a phenomenal day. The sunrise was gorgeous this morning; I saw it from Solomons just to the north of you. I was even wearing a bright orange shirt so everything in my field of view was cast in a luminous orange glow.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Fantastic trip.
        Native Slayer 12
        Native Ultimate

Comment

Congratulatoins Mike!! That sounds like a fantastic outing. On Saturday morning, I woke up to cooler temps and overcast skies and I wished I was fishing. I am glad to hear that you guys had such a good day. I was wondering all weekend how guys like you, John and Dave were doing if you were on the water. Thank you for the report

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
            I was wondering all weekend how guys like you, John and Dave were doing if you were on the water. Thank you for the report
            I fished closed to home Saturday evening and caught a couple dozen perch, a handful of small rockfish, a spot and a cownose ray on an impromptu trip. Sunday morning I drove to SOMD and caught just over a dozen cutlassfish. This slight break in the oppressive heat/humidity has been welcome, that's for sure.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Mike's report yesterday inspired me to get out yesterday afternoon. We launched a few hours before high tide off the Potomac. This area hadn't been producing for me lately. Yesterday proved different. I landed my first rockfish since the closure (landed in Maryland waters). We caught a mess of perch, some smaller blue, a croaker, and a couple of 14"ish redfish. We had intended on fishing until sunset, but the threat of storms led us to return to the launch an hour earlier. We ran a variety of lures, but it seemed the spinnerbaits were the winner. Everything from the perch to croaker, blue, and redfish hit it. All in all a good day.
              Attached Files
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
              X