Poplar Island - lots of paddling, few fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplar Island - lots of paddling, few fish

Today John Rentch and I made a long fishing trip to visit a bunch of shallow water structure spots I used to fish from my boat. After a 75 minute drive from Annapolis, we launched from Lowes Wharf marina at 6:30 am. The sun rose over the horizon 15 minutes later as we paddled to our first spot -- a semi-submerged rock pile. We cast topwater plugs around the rocks without interest I circled the pile a second time and threw a white paddletail. I caught two 15" stripers to get the skunk out.

At that point we made a long paddle across Poplar Narrows to get to Poplar Island and the several natural islands along its eastern edge. These islands offer shallow water structure in sod banks, grassy points, old wooden bulkheads, and other structures. I talk about them in my books. We fished along a lot of shoreline spots and had no bites. This was frustrating, since the water looked clean and should have held fish.

At that point, John and I went off in different directions. I moved to another spot that has drainage tunnels allowing water to flow from inside the Poplar Island structure to the water outside as the tide ebbs and flows. In past years, these tunnels often produced a lot of stripers, some huge perch, and some channel cats. The tunnels fish much better when there is water moving through them. Outgoing current is ideal, but incoming produces bites too. I arrived at the first tunnel two hours before low tide and expected to find a strong flow coming out of the tunnel. The water was moving there, but very slowly. As I visited the rest of the tunnels, I found gentle or no flow. At the tunnels with flow, I caught fish. I cast a white paddletail up inside the tunnel and twitched it while winding in. I caught 9 more stripers from 17" to 19" from the tunnels. They gave a good fight in shallow water areas. In all the years when I fished here from my boat, I could never move through the tunnels to get inside the Poplar structure. But today, with a small kayak, I was able to move inside and make some casts from the back side. I caught a few of my fish there and the others from the outside.

On the way back to the launch, the seas were glassy calm, making for an easy paddle. I was glad as I had been paddling my kayak for 6 hours and covered 10.2 miles. I am disappointed that these spots did not produce more bites today. It takes a significant amount of effort to drive and paddle there. It was fun to be back in some of the spots I had fished dozens of times from 2010 to 2020 in my boat.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

When John invited me on this trip and I saw his float plan, I wanted to visit some old fishing spots, but knew it would be a challenge for me (I turn 78 next month) to complete the proposed loop. . We had a similar trip this summer at Onancock, VA, but that was under more difficult wind conditions. The hardest part was the paddle from Hog to Coaches (now Baltimore Isl). It little over 1 mile, but we had a SW wind with an Ebb Tide. The water was rolling which made paddling difficult. Overall I didn’t cover as much water as John ( 8.5), but had little difficulty in completing my task.

One point I would like to mention is the change in appearance of Jefferson Island. The last time I visited there with John on his Scout, it was full of dead trees with nesting Cormorants. Today the trees are gone and the land is full of Phragmites.
    98B3E17A-DC90-4B91-8923-9C28EC1D21D9.jpg C31D51A3-C638-4D91-9EC7-F1221C72064A.jpg

Sad to say, my catch day was very light- one average size perch on a Big Nose Spinner. The fish just weren’t where they used to be this time of the year. But it was fun and glad I did it.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice trip guys.

Too bad about those trees. I have photos of my visits to Poplar with the trees full of cormarants. It's never good to be downwind of a cormorant rookery. They stink to high heaven. But they deserve a good place to roost!
      Last edited by Mark; 08-26-2022, 09:16 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sorry to hear you guys put in a lot of effort with little to show for it. Hopefully it was still nice to be on the water, get some good exercise, and you obviously had good company

Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks for report, you’ve been putting in the miles for the fish.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
          X