Introductions, plus a 9/2 PLO report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introductions, plus a 9/2 PLO report

I've been a lurker here off and on for a few years and figured I should register. I'm a long-time surf fishermen who recently started using a kayak to extend my range. The majority of my trips are to the Outer Banks, with occasional trips to Chincoteague or Tidewater depending on the season and species I'm after. In the summer I will occasionally do a day trip in the mid-Bay.

Two hours each way is about as far as I'm willing to do for a day trip, which mostly limits me to St. Inigoes, Piney Pt, or PLO if I want to target saltier species. A few weeks ago a local tackle report mislabeled a catch off the Point Lookout Pier, calling a big sheepshead a black drum. I like to chase sheepies further south and figured hey, maybe there's a quiet fishery around PLO this time of year. After all, it's salty enough for barnacles and fiddler crabs. I caught some fiddlers in the marsh and dropped bottom sweepers on the pound nets in about 14' of water. Bait stealers galore. With the fiddlers I had left I headed out to the rock pile and ended up with the same result drifting the ledge. Nada. I put on some X-raps and other lures and trolled outside and inside the bar (it was a tad bumpy at low tide), around Cornfield Harbor, and everywhere else in between in the hopes of picking up a Spanish. Again, nada. But man the needlefish were thick as flies. I never have much luck at PLO. Think I'll be sticking to Piney Point for my local trips from now on.

Welcome. Like a couple spots here PLO can be absolute fire or absolute nothing, there rarely seems to be an in between time. Part of the challenge as a kayak fisherman is finding the right wind conditions to fish the point. Because it’s so frequently unfishable (at least for my safety measure) it’s hard to get any pattern established. Then again, this year has been so off most days everywhere there may be no pattern at all. Hope to see more reports and good fishing.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

When I lived up that way and fished southern MD a lot, I liked putting in at St. Inigoes and work the mouths of several creeks on an outgoing tide, down river of Smith Creek. (Note: never caught at Calvert Creek which is the first creek. The others are better Rowley Bay, Harry James Creek and the best being Potter Creek) I wouldn't overlook the breakwaters of Lawson Point. Can be decent on the way to the creeks. Rockfish, redfish, occasional trout, flounder feed on the bait being swept out of the creeks. Seen many days where there were schools of rockfish about a half mile off Lawson Point. To the north of St. I, is Chicken Creek. That too can be decent at times.

Also fished further up the Potomac River at St. Clements Island. Pretty place and have had many outstanding days there. I particularly liked fishing Heron Island Bar a mile south of St. Clements. It's under water most of the time but at low tide it's partially exposed or a couple inches underwater. Deep water on either side of it and rips are created. Can be a fish magnet. See Pictures........ A word of caution, give this area a little more respect. I fished all over the bay and find this area with its deep water, shallows, long fetch and ripping currents, to get nasty fast especially when the wind is cranking against the tide.
      Attached Files
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

318856_10151147455114783_835764860_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=GSeFOCpF__4AX9Pb8KX&_nc_ht=scontent.fpit1-1.fna&oh=00_AT818N_EK6tTAZrac8cchx58OvxgMz8febunDcbvxmGPyA&oe=633E36AD.jpg
        Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

Also fished further up the Potomac River at St. Clements Island. Pretty place and have had many outstanding days there. I particularly liked fishing Heron Island Bar a mile south of St. Clements. It's under water most of the time but at low tide it's partially exposed or a couple inches underwater. Deep water on either side of it and rips are created. Can be a fish magnet. See Pictures........ A word of caution, give this area a little more respect. I fished all over the bay and find this area with its deep water, shallows, long fetch and ripping currents, to get nasty fast especially when the wind is cranking against the tide.
        I remember meeting you with you by St Clement's Island......Fun Day!
        422247_10151147454789783_583048861_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=zVjW9f2YEB8AX9bB3lX&_nc_oc=AQmopqldBu94LDZG0DCQBSkEAOnqurppcNU8JdlKp_tNVhYK1lRBqmIqwGsjo6V8lpg&_nc_ht=scontent.fpit1-1.fna&oh=00_AT9KgEEAS5S7kA6_3o
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. And Fishtank, I really appreciate the advice. I'm surprised some of those creeks produce--they look pretty sanded-in from the satellite view. But I never turn down local knowledge and will give it a shot before the end of the season.

I may beg off on that bar near St. Clements for now, though. I'm still kind of new to my board (Hobie Lynx) and a recent experience at the CBBT with opposing tides and wind left me unenthusiastic about those conditions.
          Last edited by Pamlico; 09-09-2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X