Super Fast Trolling - Sunday Morning in the Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Fast Trolling - Sunday Morning in the Patapsco

While I was fishing and trolling from my paddle kayak on Sunday morning, there was a boat that was trolling two lines. The boat must have been traveling 4-5 times faster than I was paddling. Their choice of trolling speed seemed absurdly fast to me. I never saw them catch a single fish.

I am aware that angler's will vary their trolling speed based on target species. I think Spanish mackerel may be one of these species...even still, this boat was traveling very fast. Also, I have never seen a Spanish Mackerel in the Patapsco.

Anyone have an idea of why someone would troll so fast?

Fishtalk magazine had a fishing report this past week with a reader reporting a 26” Spanish mackerel near Curtis Bay (under Upper Bay section). That’s likely the reason they were trolling that fast. This is the time of year where there’s a better chance at catching them farther north. There are usually a few reports in the Severn around this time - I caught two trolling via kayak in the Severn in 2019.
    J

Comment

Thank you Jman....that makes sense to me now. A 26" Spanish Mackerel would be awesome.

Comment

When living and kayak fishing in the Chesapeake Bay area I caught Spanish Mackerel out at Cedar Point (mouth of Pax river) and up the Potomac as far as St. Clements Island. Casting from my kayak or trolling. Always thought you had to retrieve or troll as fast as possible in order to get a bite. I live down here in Charleston SC now and have had many days where I've caught mackerel mixed in with speckled trout right in the marsh on paddle tails. One day I caught 15 mackerel that way.....go figure.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Working...
        X