Brooms Island - Sat (9/10) Morning ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooms Island - Sat (9/10) Morning ?

Thinking about heading out of Nan's Cove early sat morning and trying for a top water bite around the oyster beds.

Anyone else wanna go ??
    Note: I have no clue of what I am doing chasing Stripers
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Good luck. I am unfamiliar with the area but fishing over oyster beds is a good plan. If there are beds of sea grass it would also be a good idea to work small paddle tails over the grass if you can, or along the edges if the grass is too thick. Focus on areas where there are bare patches within the grass beds. Lastly, submerged rocks are great for holding stripers, especially if they are situated so they intersect the main flow of the river and generate turbulent current over them. Again, throwing small paddle tails at these areas should get some bites if the stripers are there.

Edit: I see a rip rap shoreline with several submerged rock jetties sticking out from it (they almost look like concrete circles laid neatly in lines) - this would be on your right as you leave the cove and head to the main river. I would definitely be throwing topwater over these submerged rocks at first light.
    Last edited by dsaavedra; 09-08-2022, 10:57 AM.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

All loaded up,, Launch time 5:30 - 6:00 AM
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

How did you do yesterday Slackdaddy?

Comment

Sorry for the late update.
          My Sis in law and I launched from Nan's at 5:50AM,, My Wife was launching at later to crab.

We worked the cove with top water (buzz bait, Wooper plooper, plugs) for an hour casting to rip rap shore and grass.
          There was bait fish breaking all around us with an occasional swirl of a bigger fish,, we were sitting in 5-6' water casting to shore,, worked our way out of the cove for an hour. Not a single hit.

When we got to the main river, we worked the rip rap shore for 200 yards,, I had one large swirl on the plooper,, but no takers,,

It was now 7:30 and we paddled out to the oyster beds, (10' - 14' )we moved around the various beds with nothing showing on the sonar,, I finally located some bait fish balls,, then some larger fish near one of the beds. I had a few hits then caught a 18.5" fish and SIL caught a ~14" fish,, The bait fish and larger fish moved out and we did not relocate them.

About an hour later I found multiple large bait fish balls then all of a sudden 3, 4, 5 large fish showing, then 10 large fish, then my screen literally turned blue with large fish. I was yelling for SIS to get over here and I started casting, they grabbed my paddle tail and ripped it, I stowed that rod and grabbed my rod w/ white Road runner and 6" white grub,, they grabbed that and took off, then got off. As soon as the fish were there, they were gone.

Wife texted and was at the launch, we headed in, helped her get her Cuda 12 in the water,, I headed home and SIL and wife crabbed for a few hours,, 28 med-large crabs

This launch is close to home and the crabbing keeps the wife occupied,, in my 6-8 outings over the last 3 years, I have caught 4-5 stripers.
          DSCN3329.jpg
          DSCN3330.jpg
          DSCN3335.jpg
          DSCN3337.jpg
          DSCN3339.jpg
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10