Good bite in southern waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bite in southern waters

I am fishing several days this week in southern Maryland. Today Shoobs (Nick) and I launched at first light. I quickly caught 4 stripers -- Nick had the hot stick early and caught more fish at that spot.

We left to work a different area that has produced for me in the past. By the time we got there, the outgoing tide was nearly slack, and the fish were not interested. While we waited for the tide to start moving again, we moved over to a shallow grass flat that has not produced well for me in the past. As I paddled slowly along in 2 foot depth, I saw a large swirl and cast that way. I immediately hooked up with a striper and had small bluefish and needlefish chasing the lure around. I called Nick over, and we had an epic hour casting to hungry fish. During that hour, I caught 28 more stripers, 5 bluefish, and 5 perch using paddletails, a metal spoon, and topwater. Nick spent more time throwing the topwater plug. I kept hearing his shouts of excitement as the fish smacked his plug. There were no other people anywhere in sight. But we were checked out by several eagles.

Eventually I was getting tired and hungry, and we had a long trip to get back to the launch. I trolled along the area that had not produced any fish earlier. But now with a stronger tidal current, I caught a small speckled trout and a small redfish to complete the southern Maryland slam.

2021-04-11-002.jpg

We took a lunch break then relaunched. But the bite was not happening any longer, and the wind had built up. We called it quits after a very productive day.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like you're off to a great start - I hope you find more success during your week in SOMD. The reports from that way lately have been encouraging.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Good day John. I hope as water cools we’ll get more “gang” activity.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nick and I plus two other kayak anglers were supposed to fish with Walleye Pete today, but the trip was cancelled. Since Nick and I were already in southern MD, we fished from our kayaks twice today. The bite was slow at our morning spot, but we had some excellent catches in the afternoon at a second location.

For the day, I finished with 4 stripers, 3 redfish, 4 bluefish, 3 perch, and a large female crab that held onto my Gulp bait with both claws.

Nick did not do well in the morning, but made up lost ground in the afternoon by catching specks of 18" and 19". His final fish of the day was a 23" redfish. It was a beauty. He also caught stripers and perch to get his southern MD Slam.

2022-09-13-004.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome fish. Nick always seems to have the lucky stick haha
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I fished the Lower Slower this past Sunday and Monday with my buddy Mike. We caught some "larger" blue, 16 or so, mixed in with the usual pocket rockets. Sunday we had two blue, two rockfish under 17". We had an abbreviated trip, fished the falling tide, between bands of rain. Yesterday was much nicer over all. It was blues (up to 17"), lizards, 3 rock each (one 21", rest 15-17") one 17.2" red, two perch. I personally, went through 22 paddle tails during our five hour trip. The lack of breeze and the sun made it less than enjoyable, but the 21" rock and the red made the trip. Glad to see these improved reports. Stay safe out there.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

So true Dave!! What an awesome two days and got to meet Big Mike. The area is beautiful and grateful for this time on the water.
              Nick
              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

I have been planning an SOMD trip for Friday morning... Initially I wanted to fish freshwater but these reports may be convincing me otherwise!
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                  I have been planning an SOMD trip for Friday morning... Initially I wanted to fish freshwater but these reports may be convincing me otherwise!
                  As with all things fishing, ymmv, but if you're hitting sunrise or trying to fish the sunset bite-looks like the tide is in your favor. Wind also seems favorable. No time like the present if you're chasing a variety of species. Bring soft plastics if that's your thing.
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                  Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                  Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                  Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Congratulations John and Nick! Nick, that is a beautiful red brother...don't let them tease you about the lucky stick...you are putting in time on the water and taking suggestions from experienced anglers...you are supposed to be catching fish :--)

Comment

Today was my last day fishing in Southern MD, I met up with Big Mike to get out at first light. We got to our spot and started trolling without any takes. But the water looked perfect for topwater so we started throwing poppers - and all hell broke loose. Mike hooked up with the first couple of stripers - 18-20" fish, while my popper kept getting tail slapped and knocked all over the place. Finally I hooked and landed a 20" striper. Later I managed a first-time-ever double hook up on one lure - a bluefish and striper at the same time. It was awesome. The sun was just starting to come up but the bite was on. And then we saw him. Some knucklehead on a john boat came headed right for us. Mike tried to wave him off. He trolled right threw us and declared "I have every right to these waters!." I was so pissed, Mike handled the verbal interaction gracefully, and of course, the bite was over. Such is the way of some folks. John joined us soon after and we all had a solid morning with blues and stripers. I had a large size speck break-off literally in my hand at the kayak. I was in my head about that one for some time! I also caught three small flounders. I stayed on an extra hour or so since it was my last day, and was headed back when out of now where birds were diving and there was a small blitz not far in front of me. I launched my paddle tail into the mix and hooked up - to my surprise - it was a Spanish mackerel. The school appeared out of nowhere and vanished equally fast. It was an awesome ending to a fantastic trip. Thanks, Big Mike for taking these two pics.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Shoobs; 09-15-2022, 04:35 PM.
                      Nick
                      2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

I got a late start this morning and missed the early morning bite. It is a shame that some boaters/anglers do not show proper courtesy about fishing etiquette. By the time I joined Nick and Mike, the fast bite had ended. I picked up a few bluefish and stripers and got a lot of bitten-off plastics. I ended my morning trip at 11:30 as I was getting tired. Nick hung in there and was rewarded by an uncommon catch (Spanish mackerel caught from a kayak). He deserves credit for his perseverance and waiting for the magic to appear.

I took a lunch break and launched at 1:30 at a different location. For the first hour, I fought nasty bluefish who attacked every plastic tail I put out. I eventually fooled one on a gold Kastmaster. During my second and third hours, I moved to a different section of that water body and managed another blue, a striper, and a small speck. It was some pullage, but not nearly as exciting as a mackerel.

2022-09-14-001.jpg

I am worn out after fishing morning and afternoon sessions on each of the last three days. I covered more than 10 miles and spent more than 7 hours on the water on each of the days. If the winds are not too high in the morning, I will do one more trip before driving home in the afternoon.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

The lucky stick strikes again!!

I can't believe you got a mackerel from a kayak Nick, that is so awesome. Congrats on that catch. That has been at the top of my to-catch list since about 2017. As you found out, they are fast-moving fish and you need to be in the right place at the right time to catch them - not easy to do in a kayak.

Also glad you didn't let the asshat in the jon boat ruin your morning. Some people have no self-awareness.

John, Nick, and Mike - Congrats on a successful week of of fishing. These reports are so encouraging but at the same time I'm afraid there won't be any willing fish left by the time I show up tomorrow after the number you guys did on them all week
                          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Wow...that sounds like an amazing morning. I haven't caught a bluefish larger than 10" in years. I have never caught a Spanish Mackerel from my yak.. I am glad you guys are getting some payoff for all the work and time on the water that you are putting in....

Nick, maybe you do have a "lucky stick" :--)

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                              Wow...that sounds like an amazing morning. I haven't caught a bluefish larger than 10" in years. I have never caught a Spanish Mackerel from my yak.. I am glad you guys are getting some payoff for all the work and time on the water that you are putting in....

Nick, maybe you do have a "lucky stick" :--)
                              LOL - better to be lucky than good.
                              Nick
                              2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X