Snuck out before the storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snuck out before the storm

I’ve been out of town last 10 days and wasn’t going to let a little wind keep me from fishing today. I knew that Piney Point would offer some protection once I made it from the launch to Potomac side. Ended up with a decent day. 11 stripers, big of 23” and 5 over 19”, 3 small trout, a perch, and a blue for what I’m calling a wind slam. Even on the protected side the occasional 25+ MPH gust almost toppled me, but the big part of big Mike kept me on board. I did try top water and had some small blues try to eat it but no stripers interested. Everything on a pearl with chartreuse paddle tail (I didn’t try any other color). Getting back to the launch was an adventure I’d prefer to not repeat.
    86AC9A2E-0C49-4768-8888-B01393011B66.jpg
    CA6EC37C-9FBE-41C7-A29E-4A946F9E57F4.jpg

3A8FFFDF-B7CB-4481-9FD8-4DAB0CBD74DD.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Good catching, Mike!!
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Glad you got home from the trip safely and could sneak in a quick fishing outing today. That perch looks like an over-achiever hitting a larger lure.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Those are some quality rockfish Mike, nice work
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Quite jealous Mike, I was eyeing the river on my way to work earlier today. I think I missed my window this weekend. Quality fish!
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Because I’m stupid went back out today during a “break” in the rain. Wind still screaming in the high teens so stuck in my small spot. Got 10 small trout in about 90 minutes of fishing, no stripers. Perhaps 2 of the trout might have hit 14”, but I wasn’t measuring. Got rained on hard twice and saw a bigger storm coming so I left. The water is very high, even approaching low tide the water was higher than high tide. There was some stain in the water but overall it was relatively clean.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Scouted the water prior to launching and made the call at the last minute. 20221002_110442(0).jpg 20221002_104909.jpg 20221002_103832.jpg Solid morning before the rain rolled back in. Stayed in the lee when we could, to avoid the ripping wind. We caught a few rockfish up to 19.5", a few speckled trout up to 13.5", a perch, and I lucked into a nice redfish!
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Nice fish, that trout seems extra spotty
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...