PB rockfish - 10/14/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB rockfish - 10/14/22

Last night I did some fishing in the main stem of the bay near my home. I have spent a lot of time this year fishing in this area and trying to really learn it inside and out and truly make it my "home waters". I have developed a number of spots that have been consistent producers for me in the spring and summer. Lately I've been trying to locate spots that produce well in the fall. On the past two trips I have only found fish in one precise location, about the size of a basketball court with rocks or oysters on the bottom. The preferred lure has been a 4" paddle tail in pearl blue glimmer trolled on 3/8oz head.

Last night I caught a few fish at this hot spot right at the start of my trip then left fish biting to continue on my route trying to locate other fish. I was unsuccessful at that... after several hours and several miles traveled and just 2 random bluefish to show for it, the sun was below the trees and I was ready to head in. I made a last minute decision to head back to the hot spot - a 1/4 mile detour - to grab a couple more fish before calling it a night.

That was the right decision because not long after I got to the hot spot my rod went down hard and drag started screaming like I have not heard before. After several minutes of carefully fighting the fish I guided it smoothly into the net and it looked huge! On the board it measured 29 1/4" but I swear it looked bigger in the net (they always do ). Regardless, the fish is my new PB by several inches. It was a thick, healthy fish that was safely released and swam off strong.

20221014_183630.jpg

20221014_183817.jpg
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Excellent catch Dave. Personal bests are always rewarding, and that striper is a beauty.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats! That's a beautiful looking fish
      Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

That's an awesome fish. Congratulations!
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Nicely done! It’s always worth hitting one more spot before you call it quits.
          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Well done Dave!
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congratulations Dave....what a beautiful fish!!!!! That is a fantastic picture also..

Comment

Very nice!
                Native Slayer 12
                Native Ultimate

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                  Nicely done! It’s always worth hitting one more spot before you call it quits.
                  I completely agree, but this is a slippery slope haha! Same applies to "one last cast"
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                  2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats on your PB. Great looking fish.
                    PASADENA
                    2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Congratulations, Dave! That would be a kayak PB for me as well. I need to fish the mainstem more often.
                      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                      X