Southern Maryland recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Maryland recap

Been a while since I have posted...released my 47th legal striped bass of 2022 a few days ago...fished Piney Point early morning outgoing tide...used light spinning tackle- 1/8 and 1/4 oz deathgrip jigheads with ZMan minnowz 4 inch swimbody and swimming trout tricks...opening night, pearl blue glimmer, smoky shad seemed to be the preferred colors that trip (every trip this year has been different)...there were still a few nice size White Perch hanging around that ate the trout tricks...while 47 fish 19 inches and bigger striped bass may sound like a lot, you get into a bunch of feeding fish and catch them one after another, it doesn't take long to catch a dozen big fat football stripers...I caught my 30" striper back in early May this year...maintaining an unbroken streak of at least one 30" fish for the past six years...most of my legal fish have been 20-24 inch fish...while early June was the best big speckled trout fishing, we have caught a few every now and then, but nothing like the 20 fish days of June and July...redfish have been a major disappointment except for my buddy Big Mike who caught a monster bull red over-slot on the flats...my total is only seven for the year- none were legal..trash fish wise-.dozens of lizardfish and more than a dozen snagged CNRs for me- hate those things! Cutlassfish are July visitors...Still fishing so there is hope for a keeper redfish, but they have been far and few between...in reality it has been feast of famine fishing down here in Southern Maryland..no consistency...have not been skunked but there have been several trips with three of four fish for a four hour effort...thankful those three or four fish have been some really nice fat footballs...you can easily see that this year is an "off year" for what we normally have and are very spoiled to expect. Tight lines!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Thanks for the recap - congrats on the 6 year streak!
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad to see you post again, Ron.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Posts about an off year and the absence of fish are as valuable, maybe more valuable, than ones about one epic trip after another. I'm taking Friday off and had narrowed it down to St. Inigoes, Chincoteague, or Va. Beach. I think you just talked me out of the first option. Looks like I'll either be looking for the tail end of the big drum run on AI or going after trout and pups in Tidewater.

Comment

Working...
        X