Severn pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn pickerel

After chasing rockfish till mid November, my eagerly-awaited pickerel fishing season has finally begun. I fished various creeks and tidal ponds on the Severn River last weekend and today and I did a decent bit of catching on both trips.

Last weekend was challenging because the water levels were extremely low. Pickerel like to hide in fallen timber and much of this favored structure was out of the water. You would think that should make them easier to catch - fewer places to hide - but my experience over the years tells otherwise. Still, I managed to catch a few. I fished 4 different creeks and caught fish at each one - 3 in the first location, 1 in the second location, 2 in the third location, and 2 in the fourth location. Most fish came on paddle tails worked slowly through fallen timber, but I got a couple on an Xrap too. Below is a picture of one of the largest fish from last weekend:

20221204_090940.jpg

Today the water levels were back to normal but the water was very murky from all the recent rain which presented a new challenge. In many of my go-to spots the water was visibly muddy with clouds of suspended sediment swirling about. I think this really hindered the bite. Xraps outperformed paddle tails today, probably because they have more flash/noise/vibration which helps the fish track the lure in muddy water. Despite poor visibility, I managed some fish. Today I fished in 3 different creeks and I caught 3 fish at the first location, 5 fish at the second location, and 0 at the third location. At the third location I did have an exciting strike right at the side of my kayak though, the way it played out was interesting - I made a cast that brought my paddle tail past some fallen timber and at the end of my retrieve I saw a pickerel slowly following it. I only had about 18" of line out and I just let my lure hang in the water, completely stationary. The pickerel nosed up to it then tried to swim past it and got its tail wrapped on my line then swam off behind me. I quickly made another cast beyond the direction the fish swam to, hoping to entice it, and right as I brought that retrieve all the way to the kayak the fish lunged out from underneath me and engulfed the paddle tail. I set the hook and felt a good bend in my rod, but then the hook came out. It was a fun sequence of events anyway. No pics from today... the largest fish I caught was bleeding so I wanted to release it as quickly as possible. I didn't measure but it looked about 20 inches.

16 fish in two trips is a good start to my pickerel season. I am taking some time off work around the holidays and I plan to fit in a few more pickerel trips then.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Thanks for the report Dave. Great pic.
    Nick
    2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sounds like a good time was had. Good looking fish
      Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Next time you get a follow like that, try working your bait in a figure 8 next to the boat. Its a tried and true technique used by musky and pike anglers to convert follows to bites, and I've made it work for pickerel several times. I had one memorable experience last year when a really big one chased my bait in circles alongside the boat for a good 2-3 minutes, but I could never get him to take it. Every time I slowed the bait down he would just stop and watch it, then begin chasing it as soon as I started moving it again. It was frustrating at the time, but it made for the most memorable experience of my 2021 pickerel outings.
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Nice going Dave! Sounds like a great start! Hope it continues for you!

Comment

Thanks for the report Dave.

I agree with your observation that high water makes for a better pickerel bite. However, I go when I can regardless of the tide.

The best pickerel "follow" I ever had was in Luce Creek of the Severn. I had my spinning rod laying forward in my kayak with the tip over the side just to the left of the bow. My lure was a homemade 1/8 oz. jig spinner. It was hanging about an inch above the water. Believe it or not, a pickerel came out of the water and hit it. Those of us who enjoy catching picks live for the days when they are that aggressive.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Thanks for the report Dave.

I agree with your observation that high water makes for a better pickerel bite. However, I go when I can regardless of the tide.

The best pickerel "follow" I ever had was in Luce Creek of the Severn. I had my spinning rod laying forward in my kayak with the tip over the side just to the left of the bow. My lure was a homemade 1/8 oz. jig spinner. It was hanging about an inch above the water. Believe it or not, a pickerel came out of the water and hit it. Those of us who enjoy catching picks live for the days when they are that aggressive.
              That sounds exciting! I have had them break the surface to make a last ditch effort to bite my lure as I am pulling it out of the water for my next cast, but I have never seen one jump out of the water to hit a lure just dangling above the surface! Very cool.

Tides are the last factor I consider when planning a trip and never a factor that decides if I go fishing or stay home. For pickerel fishing I don't even bother looking at tide tables because they aren't as accurate in the winter. Blowout tides are more common in the winter and the actual water levels could be well below mean low tide when the tide table says it should be high tide. I see what the water levels look like when I get there and adjust accordingly.
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
              X