Caroline County launches require permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroline County launches require permit

This morning I visited the Hillsboro town launch into Tuckahoe Creek. I have launched there for many years, including twice in March 2022. In previous years, use of the ramp was free. Today I found a new sign (I don't know when it was put there) indicating that use of the ramp now requires a Caroline County permit, much like the Queen Annes County launch permit. I did not have the Caroline County permit and do not plan to launch in Caroline often. I loaded my kayak back into the van and left without launching. For those of you who want to launch there (and possibly at other Caroline County ramps), be prepared to purchase the permit.

2021-04-11-003.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks for the heads up. I've eyed that launch on maps several times but never actually been there.... looks like it'll remain that way.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I noticed that too about two months ago while shore fishing. I called the county and explained to them that I car top a kayak, and they told me that I did not need a sticker/permit. It was meant for people who trailer their boat. HOWEVER, she did tell me that if you do not use a trailer, then they expect those kind of boats/kayaks/canoes to use the soft launch next to the ramp, otherwise if you launch by using the ramp and they see you, then you can be charged the fine and should buy a ramp permit.
      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
      2016 Hobie Outback LE
      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Martin - Thanks for providing additional clarification. After reading your comment, I visited the Caroline County Recreation and Parks website. I found this language: "If you have transported your boat to a ramp on-top-of or within your vehicle (i.e. a kayak or canoe within a truck bed or on the car roof on a rack), a boat ramp permit is not required. If you are transporting several kayaks or canoes on a boat trailer, a boat ramp permit is required."

John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X