New ASMFC striper slot limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ASMFC striper slot limit

I came across this news release from the ASMFC: https://asmfc.org/uploads/file/64529...encyAction.pdf

From the news release, emphasis mine:
    The Board implemented the emergency 31-inch maximum size limit for 2023 to reduce harvest of the
    strong 2015-year class. The 31-inch maximum size limit applies to all existing recreational fishery regulations where a higher (or no) maximum size applies, excluding the May Chesapeake Bay trophy fisheries which already prohibit harvest of fish less than 35 inches. All bag limits, seasons, and gear
    restrictions will remain the same. Jurisdictions are required to implement the required measure as soon as
    possible but no later than July 2, 2023. If it deems necessary, the Board may extend the emergency action
    for two additional periods of up to one year each at a future Board meeting.
    If I'm interpreting it correctly, this effectively means that there will be a 19-31" slot limit in Maryland. Unfortunately, the new regulations specifically exclude the Maryland trophy striper season, so 35"+ fish can still be harvested during the first half of May.... hopefully one day they will do away with that too
    Last edited by dsaavedra; 05-03-2023, 03:18 PM.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

It would help to impose some kind of restriction on charters. The one striper charter I've ever been on, they took 24 fish out of the river in 1.5 hours. Do that 2 times a day every day and who knows how many charters there are?
    Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Our ever-changing striper regulations are like watching a train approach a washed-out bridge. Some do not see the crash coming. Perhaps they do not remember or had not been born prior to our striper moratorium during the mid mid-1980s and early 1990s.

Some may realize the fishery is in trouble but they are economically tied to it and have decided to ride the train anyway hoping that some miracle restores the integrity of the bridge. I am speaking of charter captains who are working hard, taking their clients on ever longer boat rides to find and catch fish.

I well remember the striper moratorium from 1985 to 1992. That was the time in my life when my income was growing and my family obligations were stabilizing. Those factors allowed me time and resources to fish more often. I could not fish for stripers so I turned my attention mostly to freshwater with only occasional charter forays into the Chesapeake’s tidal waters for bluefish which were prevalent then.

In 2012 I bought my first kayak. My plastic boat gave me access to tidal waters on both sides of the Chesapeake from the mid-Bay to the south. The moratorium was over. It was declared a success by fisheries managers. I was catching stripers on the western shore and Eastern Shore. They were everywhere and incredibly easy to hook. Too easy, I think, for their own good. They are ravenous and hardly discriminating when you find a school of them. They are sleek silver eating machines that pose little challenge for most anglers. Toss or drag a paddletail or crankbait near them and soon you are hooked up. I enjoyed it. It was fun.

But as we headed into the late 20-teens, my striper catches declined. Some of that decline was because I did not troll as often as I did when I became a kayak angler. I enjoyed the quantities of stripers that trolling produced, but I did not like the method as much as casting. Also, the legal-sized stripers I caught were getting scarcer. I know that I inevitably killed some of the undersized stripers I had hooked while practicing catch and release and that bothered me. So, in recent years, I have targeted stripers less frequently.

Instead, I have fished mostly for white perch and reacquainted myself with the freshwater species I had learned to catch during the striper moratorium. I will still fish for stripers, but not as much as I used to.

Please understand, I am not suggesting that others do the same. Fish the way you want for what you want within the law. But I do find it disturbing that stripers are subject to ever changing regulations to both save them from overfishing while appeasing everyone who has an interest in catching them. Ultimately, I think it is impossible to please everyone because the fish themselves are so easy to catch, not to mention Chesapeake environmental factors that may be reducing their recruitment.

So, I must wonder, are we heading to another striper moratorium? If not that, it seems to me that Maryland, as the prime nursery for all East Coast stripers, should end a trophy season that removes some of the most valuable breeders from the population.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post

If I'm interpreting it correctly, this effectively means that there will be a 19-31" slot limit in Maryland.
        And a 28 - 31" slot for coastal water. That is a small window if you want to harvest dinner.

Although it read that the change only lasts through the end of October.
        Brian

Comment

The press release from the ASMFC can be found at FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (asmfc.org). The key text is:

"The Board implemented the emergency 31-inch maximum size limit for 2023 to reduce harvest of the strong 2015-year class. The 31-inch maximum size limit applies to all existing recreational fishery regulations where a higher (or no) maximum size applies, excluding the May Chesapeake Bay trophy fisheries which already prohibit harvest of fish less than 35 inches. All bag limits, seasons, and gear restrictions will remain the same. Jurisdictions are required to implement the required measure as soon as possible but no later than July 2, 2023. If it deems necessary, the Board may extend the emergency action for two additional periods of up to one year each at a future Board meeting."

The Chesapeake Bay trophy exclusion is there for practical purposes. The 2023 trophy season runs from May 1-15. By the time any regulations could be adopted by DNR, this year's trophy season will be over. Hopefully this ASMFC initiative will spur the DNR to modify its requirements for a 2024 trophy season. Also keep in mind that Gov Moore has appointed new leadership at DNR that may take a different viewpoint on striped bass compared to the previous leadership under Gov Hogan. Hopefully those leaders will look to balance recreational and commercial requirements more equitably.

I interpret the emergency limits to mean that if I caught a 32" or larger striper in late May, June, or any other time for the next six months, I could not legally keep it. Since I rarely ever keep a striper, this has no impact on me personally.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Commentary by the Fisherman Magazine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQQBBzYq6Y
            Jump to 1:41 thru 8:54 for main content.

Guess we'll just have to see where this goes as there appears to be no mechanism for discussion with the ASMFC. I share same view with John
            Since I rarely ever keep a striper, this has no impact on me personally.
            but have concerns on how this is being delivered even if the science backs the "Emergency Action" at this time.

Comment

Anyone feel like getting more involved as a stakeholder? Links below are not active but more info available on MD DNR site.

Applications to the Maryland Sport Fisheries Advisory Commission (recreational fisheries) and Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission (commercial fisheries) are currently being accepted. If you are interested in serving or if you know of someone that may be interested, application instructions including a link to the application may be found online.

The commissioners are appointed by the governor and they advise the department's Director of Fishing and Boating Services on all matters brought to the commissions.

Membership is composed of individuals from across the state that represent the interests of various fisheries-related constituencies and stakeholders. Meetings are currently held on a quarterly basis.

Please apply by May 22, 2023 for consideration.

For inquiries about the commissions please contact Paul Genovese. For inquiries on the application itself, please contact the Governor's Appointment Office.

Comment

Interesting/informative discussion on the matter from TFC featuring Dave Sikorski of CCAMD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_BupZZjFsg
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Hi All

Still very new to this game of striper fishing in a kayak and on the Chesapeake. I must say I think all of this limit or slot size stuff is dancing round the issue. The slots are different in every state. That in itself would say something is missing. I'm sure the fishery scientists know the key breeding stock size and age. This should be the national dictum as a minimum.

If the fishery is in trouble, everybody needs to stop taking fish, period. You can catch them, but you can't keep them. I enjoy the table qualities of striped bass, but hey, needs must. You then think through the consequences of that, commercial and otherwise. In my mind:

A round of golf on a weekend anywhere in the state will average circa $75. I'm not advocating each fishing trip is $75. However, I do think it could be $25. I think that $25 could go to preserving striped bass stock in the Chesapeake via, perhaps a hatchery or paying individuals to patrol in boats (perhaps even commercial skippers). I think you could pay for this on-line and have a Day Pass pass that must be produced when asked for. I think commercial skippers could add that $20 to their day rate. No day pass, big fine.

What would they patrol for. Well, that (1) you had a pass, (2) you were fishing catch and release (3) you were using and had only barbless hooks (4) you were not in possession of fish.

I think you get the point. If Anglers want the resource to last, perhaps we all need to put a bit back. Perhaps it's something different before the 10-year moratorium kicks in

Comment

Re; "You can catch them, but you can't keep them." "(2) you were fishing catch and release "
                    The biggest loss of striper population is when people are catching and releasing them. Many times I see people catching their limit then go on to catch and release for the sport of it which results in the fish dying due to the mishandling of them, which I have been guilty of in the past. So advocating this per day pass of $75.00 or even $25.00 promoting more catch & release wont alleviate the useless loss to the population it would serve to add to it... Personally over the last few years I have put a personal moratorium on targeting stripers as there are other fish in the bay to target that are equally as fun to catch and taste as good if not better.

Comment

Yes Sir, for sure there is some mortality rate in catch and release. For me the maths is simple, catch 100 fish and kill them all versus catch 100 fish and lose 15% on return. That's 85 fish that get to live and hopefully breed. There are lessons from other species such as Atlantic and Pacific salmon. There are river systems where the shift is 100% from take to release. Anglers fish barbless and are taught how to release quickly and properly. Members of angling clubs donate time to improving habitat in spawning areas, removing fallen trees etc. I guess there's a need to find a way of managing the fishery via catch and release or accept it might be closed to entire generations of anglers. I've heard there have been prior moratoriums and not much has been learned.

I'd even advocate for catch and release applying to fishing inside the 3-mile line of the coast. For example, surf fishing Lavallette NJ, one fine November day in 2022, I was astounded to see what must have been 1,000 boats all within sight of the shore and out fishing for stripers, no doubt with the latest fish finding technology. I thought, imagine that from MD - MA. These fish don't stand a chance. Perhaps, it's catch and release until there's a series of successful spawning years, then it's 1 fish per angler to a nationally agreed slot size.

What's that old saying, "keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the 1st sign of insanity". For me, I'd prefer a pay per outing system (Nationally) that provides funds to support and improve the fishery and hopefully avoids moratorium versus doing nothing or simply leaving it to the personal choice of anglers.

Comment

I saw a public notice that the change is effective starting May 16th for both Chesapeake and Atlantic.
                        Brian

Comment

Bob, post that article up if you find it. Timing would be right if they want to stop the carnage on the 16th when the upper bay opens next week. The Chesapeake States are way behind the other ones with spawning habitats.

I guess with the elevated air temps and dry conditions closing spillways on the Susquehanna water temps on the Flats will be mid 70’s next week. Yesterday I had to take extra care in releasing fish. Some revived very slowly and seemed extra stressed during catch and release. Yep, could spell carnage.

Comment

Here are links to the public notices for the Chesapeake Bay and coastal emergency regs.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...eGeQcFr9kfKntw

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...mdkDwiF0YWyJDY
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                            X