Southern Maryland Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Maryland Update

Between wind and a bum knee my fishing has been limited but I managed to get out twice in the last few days. Friday I hit Piney Point with Ron, launching about an hour after low tide. Winds were higher than forecast but manageable. The water was incredibly clear, easily 4’ visibility, which didn’t help our cause. 3 hours later we totaled 1 bump. I was really hoping for a speck as I’ve caught them by now for the past 3 years, but no luck. Grass beds still emerging and we’re starting to get some floating grass.

today i fished Breton Bay with much better results. We had overcast/rainy skies and a falling tide. We caught very few fish trolling, I got 2 trolling. However jigging along the edge of drops gave us about 25 fish, many over 20 with a big of 25”. This is a common pattern in the spring for the bay, and I always have metal rigged for it. We did get two white perch trolling, so they’ll soon be in abundance.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great to hear from you Mike, glad that you're getting on some fish. Thanks for the update on SOMD - hopefully the specks show up for you in the next couple weeks. I'll likely be down there visiting family next weekend and may try to squeeze in a trip.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Nice going Mike. I glad you are back in the kayak seat again.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad you can get out some. Hope the Specks show up soon.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Sorry to hear about the knee Mike, wishing the best. Wanted to follow up with an additional SOMD report. I've been out three times in the last two weeks: opening day, as we well know was really no good. I also went out Thursday May 4th and this past Sunday, the 7th. Thursday was a short and poor trip for me personally. Only covered about a total of five miles in three hours. I had three hits and managed one 15" rock trolling. My buddy, though had a banner day, with about 20 overall, of which-8 or so were over 20". He even had a double hookup. This past Sunday was worse for me, missing three strikes-tthough I did land a 10" perch at the end of the day. My lone fish of the day. We also spotted some CNRs, of which I'm 99% I hooked one. I didn't get visual conformation, as my line broke as I was struggling to get my lure back. My two buddies each managed some rock, but the bite wasn't steady, largest being an estimated 22-23". Perch were much more sporadic. Not much else to report, besides no sign of specs. I'm going to have a short trip this evening before pinball league and will report back!
          Last edited by ski357; 05-10-2023, 01:59 PM.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I did get a report of one speck caught at PLO on Wednesday. Striper bite is real hit or miss, but the size has been good.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
            X