Struck Out Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struck Out Today

Visited Kent Narrows this morning with skimpy results. I trolled over 6 miles in 3-5 FOW and only managed a single 15” Striper. It was hooked on an Electric Chicken paddletail. Didn’t see many bait balls either. Very disappointing-
    A7BB2754-DA1B-4DB5-A549-39B051086D70.jpg
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Sorry you did not have better success today. My recent shallow water trolling in a variety of spots has been much less productive than during the same time last year. Hopefully things will improve soon.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I got into a few yesterday running out of Sandy Point trolling deep plugs and 2oz jigs with mullet tails up and back to Baltimore Harbor Light. My depth finder had quit doing its' job but thankfully, Lowrance is sending me a replacement. So, jigging was not in the cards and last Friday I wasn't finding them in the shallows. To give me a general sense of structure and location I used my phone and opened a NOAA bathymetric chart on their website which gave me reasonably live tracking of COG. I targeted bottom structures like this:

The wind was higher than forecast and with it I had full fetch and outgoing tide in the face. Good workout and probably why there were no other kayakers out there.

Back at the launch I met a reporter from Channel 7 News in DC , Brad Bell who interviewed me about the fishing and the condition of the Bay. That piece might be available at their website WJLA.com ?

Fun day on the Bay.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 7 photos.
      Last edited by Slough Sleigher; 05-11-2023, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I’ve tried using a navionics aid like you did but it was burning battery life in my phone faster than a Mayfly. Hopefully these next couple warm days get the pattern normalized.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike it is a free chart through our DNR website charts. Search Bay Bottoms Chart and it links into NOAA’s website. When you are in their maps you will find a drop down box with layers. Choose the bathymetric layer and allow location. In the images I attached is a screen print of that map layer. It’s good to have in your bag of tricks when things wonder sideways as they are prone to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Slough Sleigher View Post
            Mike it is a free chart through our DNR website charts. Search Bay Bottoms Chart and it links into NOAA’s website. When you are in their maps you will find a drop down box with layers. Choose the bathymetric layer and allow location. In the images I attached is a screen print of that map layer. It’s good to have in your bag of tricks when things wonder sideways as they are prone to do.
            That's a cool tip. Thanks for the heads up!
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
            X