Mattawoman blue cats the Saturday before Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman blue cats the Saturday before Memorial Day

Late last night I decided to bring the kayak out and chase some fish today. I forgot my topwater stuff at home so settles into soaking some bait for blue cats. I ended up taking home 3 "eating size" and caught a fourth at roughly 30 inches, but that one went back.

I overslept so made it to slavins around 9:45 and was fishing by 10:20 or so, knew it was going to be a bit of a zoo, being a holiday weekend, and there was definitely a few rude people out of the water/ ramp, but it was mostly positive. Talked with a few other kayakers and kayak anglers and had a great time. Hopefully the guy that was trying to go kayak fishing for the first time made it out alright - he was with two buddies that seemed a bit more seasoned, but he was having some trouble getting used to a kayak and dumped himself a few times at the ramp! I headed upstream and spent about 4.5 hours on the water, wound up getting pushed out of the spot I was fishing by some people that thought it would be a good idea to drag anchor through where my lines were while drinking beers, so I decided to pull up, give them some space, and float fish for a while, which resulted in just as many fish as anchoring by my go to blue cat hole.

The largest on the day was just under 30 inches, not huge however I did manage to snap the handle off of my net (d'oh) by lifting it up horizontally with this one in it like a dummy. Hopefully I can get the one piece out and then just buy a replacement handle (ego slider).
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    -Justin

Brave to fish Mattawoman on any Saturday. Glad you found a few.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Good job. I've never seen as many boat trailers parked in one place on one day than sweden point.
      Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Working...
      X