Magothy Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy Perch

Yesterday my son and I chased white perch in the Magothy on a falling tide.

The gusting wind shortened our outing from our intentions but we still caught 20 perch between us. My son got a lead on me by using a Roostertail:

P1050739.jpg

He finished with 12 including a yellow perch.

I was using my homemade 1/8 oz. jig spinner. I was getting bumps but no hookups. Only when I transitioned to a 1/16 oz, version of the lure did I start catching. I finished with 8, each between 8 and 10 inches. Here’s one:

P1050747.jpg

We all know the rule of thumb to downsize our offerings when catches come hard. But sometimes we forget to act on it in a timely manner.

In any case, it appears from reports that the three rivers in my immediate area, the Patapsco, Magothy, and Severn are quickly filling with white perch. That is encouraging given that last year’s white perch action was not notable.

Get out there and enjoy their return.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great going guys, these fish are always fun to catch, especially on light tackle.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Mark. That is wonderful. I did not have a great white perch day all of last year. I would love to get into some this year. It is wonderful that you got to share the experience with your son as well.

I am encouraged by the positive perch reports....

Comment

Thank you, Rob.

Yes...Let's hope the perch are kinder to us this year than they were in 2022.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X