Ok Day on West River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Day on West River

I had a nice day fishing on Saturday. Earlier in the week, i had received a one drive reminder from June 7, 2020...one of those "this day in history" reminders and it was a pic of my buddy Arron fishing from my old green sit in kayak. I felt nostalgic and invited Arron to go fishing on Saturday and he accepted and agreed to fish some tidal waters. didn't know where we would go...Arron and I used to fish together very frequently. I had two sit in kayaks and we would fish together and most frequently in tidal water. It was not long before Arron began wanting a sit-on-top yak. During the pandemic it was going to take a couple of months for his Brookland kayak to arrive, so we continued to fish from my sit in kayaks for most of the season. Once his kayak arrived he began fishing almost exclusively freshwater so we don't fish together often anymore.

Arron and I launched on Saturday around 7am into the West River. We he The tide was moving (incoming). We paddled around...neither of us are very familiar with the area...We found some structure and began casting. Arron caught a striper on his second cast and soon afterwards I caught a slot red. That red color and the spot on the tail were a beautiful sight to see. Not long after that, Arron also caught a slot red.

I fished the entire morning with one rod...the first four hours with the same rod and paddltail. Arron changed lures about every 5 casts and we both had a good day.

We fished for about 5 hours and we caught a total of two slot reds, and a decent number of stripers (a few were 20" - 23") and we both did pretty well with the white perch. What suprised me is how many perch I caught on paddletails....after catching two slot reds (between the two of us), I didn't want to switch away from paddletails to target white perch only....so the perch came to me...I hope that this is a sign of a decent perch year for all of us.

My results have been all over the map...from multiple, consecutive skunks, to catching a slot red in the West River and quite a few perch on paddletails.

The most common suggestion that I have received on this forum is to spend more time on the water and that is what I am hoping to do....tight lines everyone 20230610_123056.jpg 20230610_074020.jpg

Nice going Rob. The West River is right up the road from me and I fish it somewhat regularly. I have identified a few hot spots but much of the river is still unknown to me. I guess I need more time on the water in that regard. I can safely say that a pair of slot reds that far north is certainly impressive!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congratulations to you and Arron for a very successful outing. I hope your catching success continues throughout the season.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X