6 hours, 1 perch on West River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 hours, 1 perch on West River

I had posted a good trip and at least another decent trip on the West River recently. Two weeks ago, I caught a couple stripers, a croaker and some white perch before sunrise. Once the sun came up, it was like someone flipped a switch and the bite stopped. I thought it was only fair to post my most recent and disappointing trip.

This past Saturday, Arron and I arrived earlier than we ever have before. We were already fishing by 515am and had a nice window to fish before the sun came up. We also had a moving tide (incoming). Arron managed two stripers, both small. I caught nothing. We continued to fish for another 6 hours and during this time we each caught one white perch. I am not an expert, but it certainly appears that the water temperature rising has steadily decreased our catches over the last few weeks, but I was surprised to spend 6 hours fishing to catch one white perch.

It was a beautiful day and I went for a nice swim to cool off. Time to start exploring other waters...

Tight lines everyone

That's a really tough day. Welcome to July fishing
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thank you Dave. I received some intel regarding a good bite at the Patapsco, but my friend was using 1oz jig heads. I've never used anything heavier than a 1/4 oz. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

Comment

I admire your honesty, Rob.

It's easy to post a sumary of a successful trip but not as easy to share the results of a slow outing even though they happen to each of us.

Heat, tide and water clarity impact our results. I've felt the combined influence of those factors on my last three trips.

I fish when my opportunities allow even when I know conditions are not optimal.

What I learn on those difficult outings about where to cast and how to manipulate my lures and flies pays dividends when conditions are ideal.

You're correct that there is always more for us to learn about fishing. When we think we have it figured out, it humbles us.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What I learn on those difficult outings about where to cast and how to manipulate my lures and flies pays dividends when conditions are ideal.
          I do not think I did it correctly....i have always wondered how people reply to a segment of a post using the quote feature....

Mark, I absoultey was trying to be as thoughtful in my scouting an area, precise as possible in my casting and mindful in my retrieve as I worked so much harder than normal. I varied my retrieve in more ways that day than I have all year. Each time, I had a fresh shot of hope that "this will do the trick" ..future dividends would be wonderful and I hope it happens.

Other than the trip where we caught the slot reds, none of the trips to the West River have been stellar...a lot of the rationale to returning there after a few trips was to fish with Arron. He hadn't been interested in fishing tidal waters and he is strongly opposed to trolling (despite the fact that he trolls the entire time he is paddling anywhere, despite the number of docks, crab traps or the multiple anchor rodes securing boats in the harbor). After initially fishing the area with a buddy, I had a sense of some areas where casting would be effective...another reason I kept returning to the West River despite decreasing marginal returns each week.

I enjoy fishing even more when I am able to share it with others and I am fortunate to have fished with a number of the members of this forum.

I recall that day on Tridelphia where there were quite a few of us...we looked like an armada on the reservoir :--)

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post

I enjoy fishing even more when I am able to share it with others and I have fished with a number of members on this forum.
            Me too, Rob. I have met and fished with quality people from this site.

I rarely fish alone. I much prefer company on my kayak fishing outings.

Triadelphia was fun.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X