Catching cutlassfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching cutlassfish

Last year I started hearing buzz about cutlassfish, an "exotic" new summertime visitor to the Chesapeake bay. I use quotes on "exotic" because they are not an invasive or introduced species, but their natural range has expanded in recent years and they are now found regularly in areas where they were not previously found. I sought to catch one for the first time last year and I was able to do so on two separate trips in August 2022. By September the fish had moved out of the area.

Feeling a bit bored lately with the tidal offerings near my home, I ventured back to the lower Patuxent to try to catch cutlassfish again. I went on two trips over the past 2 weeks and did well both times. The first trip was a bit slow, I caught 10 cutlassfish but had to work hard to catch them over the span of 6 hours. I faced countless short strikes and hookups were few and far between. Yesterday I had much faster action and I put 29 cutlassfish in the boat, though the bite slowed considerably in the late morning. I still had to deal with short strikes (they are part of the cutlassfishing game) but they seemed more willing to eat rather than just "taste test" my lures. Here are a couple pictures from my trips:

20230703_053214.jpg

20230712_064855.jpg

My approach to catching them is to troll around the edges of deep channels and marinas until I start feeling taps on my lures. Cutlassfish are notorious for short-striking and I don't actually catch many while trolling, but it is a useful search tool. When I feel taps and see the distinctive wispy looking signatures on the fish finder, I know the cutlassfish are around and I stop trolling and start casting to thoroughly cover the area. It takes a while to figure out what retrieve they prefer on any given day, but lately they have been preferring a slow retrieve several feet off the bottom in ~20ft of water.

I know a lot of people consider them a nuisance fish, but I think they are really cool. They are uniquely challenging to catch and also put up a unique fight with their backwards-swimming abilities. These cutlassfish trips are a fun change of pace for me now that's we're entering the oppressive part of summer.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Dave is being modest about his cutlassfish exploits. They are not easy to catch (I tried several times last summer and again last Friday without any success). He did plenty of homework and modified his fishing tactics to get the fish to bite. Back in 2017, I caught my one and only cutlassfish. I hope I can catch some again, but will definitely need to use different techniques the next time. Well done, Dave.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dave...good job...they are really cool looking...

Do they damage a zman with those teeth?

I echo John's sentiment 100%...you are being modest.

John...I have gotten to know you pretty well and I see cutlassfish in your near future :--)

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
        Dave...good job...they are really cool looking...

Do they damage a zman with those teeth?

I echo John's sentiment 100%...you are being modest.

John...I have gotten to know you pretty well and I see cutlassfish in your near future :--)
        Thanks guys. They will leave gashes in Zman lures from their sharp teeth but overall the Zman stuff holds up pretty well. Over the span of these 2 trips using Zman lures I had exactly 1 tail bite-off and 1 that bit through my leader, causing me to lose my lure entirely. I have heard on several accounts that traditional soft plastics are much more susceptible to tail bite-offs when going for cutlassfish.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I have read several posts on here about these unique looking fish. Their physical appearance and silver almost chrome-like color is amazing. Based on what I have read, these fish typically are found in the lower part of the bay in the mid to late portion of the Summer. I don't know how, but last weekend I was trolling in approximately 15'-18' of water using Yozuri lures in the MAGOTHY RIVER and managed to hook up with a Cutlass fish. Surprised, would be an understatement. While not a heavy fighting fish, I was truly amazed at the aerial antics as I managed to get the fish closer to my kayak. Four leaps out of the water and a good 3' into the air each time. I managed to land it and remove the lure quite easily then released it back into the river after getting a few pics on my phone. When I shared the story, most had never heard of a Cutlass fish and those that did were very surprised that I was able to catch one in the MAGOTHY.

I can honestly say that I would not target them, but if I were to be fortunate enough to catch one again, I would definitely enjoy the fight especially the aerial antics.

Great report Dave and awesome pics as well. Continued success and tight lines!!!
          PASADENA
          2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Originally posted by DuffDynasty View Post
            I have read several posts on here about these unique looking fish. Their physical appearance and silver almost chrome-like color is amazing. Based on what I have read, these fish typically are found in the lower part of the bay in the mid to late portion of the Summer. I don't know how, but last weekend I was trolling in approximately 15'-18' of water using Yozuri lures in the MAGOTHY RIVER and managed to hook up with a Cutlass fish. Surprised, would be an understatement. While not a heavy fighting fish, I was truly amazed at the aerial antics as I managed to get the fish closer to my kayak. Four leaps out of the water and a good 3' into the air each time. I managed to land it and remove the lure quite easily then released it back into the river after getting a few pics on my phone. When I shared the story, most had never heard of a Cutlass fish and those that did were very surprised that I was able to catch one in the MAGOTHY.

I can honestly say that I would not target them, but if I were to be fortunate enough to catch one again, I would definitely enjoy the fight especially the aerial antics.

Great report Dave and awesome pics as well. Continued success and tight lines!!!
            Thanks for sharing... catching them as far north as the Magothy is certainly noteworthy! I've heard of a couple caught in the Severn over the past few years, including one my friend caught in Weems Creek, and last week someone at FishTalk caught one in the South River. But I have never heard of them as far north as the Magothy... very cool!

The fight is unique, as you mentioned. When they first strike they give a strong downward surge, which often pulls drag and makes the fish feel huge. Then they kind of give up and because of their slender shape you don't feel much resistance when reeling them in - it feels like they came off the hook. You may get one or two more downward surges during the fight before they're at the boat. Sometimes they do go airborne when you get them to the surface which is a very odd sight to see. You'll also see them trying to swim backwards when you get them to the side of the boat too.

The combination of their odd appearance, odd fighting behavior, and the challenge of actually hooking up with them makes them a fun target for me.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Great pics, Dave. Gotta say that I find the teeth a bit terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by scorchy View Post
                Great pics, Dave. Gotta say that I find the teeth a bit terrifying.
                The teeth are no joke. These fish wriggle a lot when you hold them and can leave a nice clean papercut-esque slice in your fingers if the teeth nick you.
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Those are pretty wild looking fish. Let me know next time youre down here, I need some motivation to learn the waters down here and get smart on something besides the usual catfish.
                  Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post

Thanks guys. They will leave gashes in Zman lures from their sharp teeth but overall the Zman stuff holds up pretty well. Over the span of these 2 trips using Zman lures I had exactly 1 tail bite-off and 1 that bit through my leader, causing me to lose my lure entirely. I have heard on several accounts that traditional soft plastics are much more susceptible to tail bite-offs when going for cutlassfish.
                    I ran into them last summer jigging the rock pile in Cornfield Harbor. You can find all kinds of things on the edges of that drop, even flounder getting close to keeper size. But that day those things were everywhere. I couldn't get a hook into them, but they succeeded in turning a Zman into swiss cheese. Not even bluefish do that kind of damage.

Comment

Working...
                    X