Decent Evening on the Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Evening on the Patapsco

With the closure starting this weekend, I decided to try my luck for a few hours last evening. I launched into the Patapsco at 4pm. Thanks to some intel from a few friends I was aware that the rockfish bite in the Patapsco had been good and also that the people were fishing deeper…both trolling and jigging adjacent to bridge pilings.

I headed towards deeper water and some bridge pilings. I trolled with the heaviest jig heads I have…1/2oz…I had never utilized them before. I caught four stripers on my first pass. I passed back through that area a few times and caught another five stripers. I have a buddy that fishes Rocky Gorge for stipers and he had given me some blade baits. I decided to jig near the bridge pilings and I remembered Walleye Pete’s instructions about proper jigging technique. Much to my surprise, I caught a few more stripers jigging blade baits and BKD’s.

The scenery is not aesthetically pleasing at all, but the fishing was quite good. Approximately 20 – 25 stripers in 2.5 hours was a very pleasant surprise. A few stipers were over 22” and one was 25.5” :--).

Tight lines

Nice going Rob. The published weekly reports (FishTalk, Anglers, etc.) have been singling out the Patapsco as a rockfish hot spot all summer, glad to see you were able to find success there too. Were there a lot of boats out? I've seen pictures recently of fleets of boats anchored in the Patapsco near Key Bridge fishing for rockfish.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks Dave. There were not a lot of boats at the bridge last evening. I am grateful for that as it is difficult for me to keep a paddle yak close enough to the pilings to jig them with a medium-strong current. It would have been much worse if there were boats jockeying for position like they do at a ceratin spot(s) at the Bay Bridge.

I utilize this analogy more frequently...I do not want to feel like I am riding a bicycle on the Beltway.

Comment

Thanks for the report. You inspired me this morning. Report forthcoming.

Comment

Working...
        X