QA County launches have been productive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QA County launches have been productive

Knowing that the striper season would close on July 16, I made an extra effort to fish for stripers during the past 10 days. I used three Queen Anne's County launches (Little Creek, Cabin Creek, and Jackson Creek) during five trips (July 6, 11, 12, 14, and 15). On several of those trips I fished at one spot for a while, loaded up and drove to a second spot, and launched again. All trips started between 6:00 and 6:15, and ended by 11:30 or earlier. During these five trips, I averaged 25 stripers per trip. On each trip I caught a few fish over 20" up to 23". I also caught specks of 15", 18", and 20". All fish were caught in depths less than 5'. I was somewhat surprised that I was able to find that many stripers in the shallow hot water (mid-80s). They were clustered in a few pockets. It took some searching, but once I found them, I could catch several in the same area. Normally, I fish these spots by light tackle trolling. The trolling has not been stellar recently. Once I caught fish by trolling, I stopped and began casting while drifting. That technique was more productive during these five trips.

The lures I used were primarily jigheads (1/8-oz, 1/4-oz, and occasionally 1/2-oz). The soft plastics were 3" mullet paddletails or 4" Buzztail paddletails (Producto Lures brand). I tried throwing topwater poppers for a while and caught two fish, but they preferred the paddletails.

This morning, I launched at one spot at 6:15 and did not find many fish. I left there at 9:00, loaded up, and drove to a second spot. Fish were more abundant there. I caught 17 stripers (to 22") there and was getting sore back muscles from making so many long casts. I decided to stop casting and prepared to troll back to the launch. I had two lines in the water. A moment later, I had a good strike that did not feel quite like the many stripers I had caught already. Once I got it in, it turned out to be an 18" speck. My wife and I enjoy eating specks, so I kept it. I continued toward the ramp and kept catching stripers. I caught five more on the way back in, including a 21" striper that I added to the stringer. These are the first two fish I have kept this year from my kayak fishing. I felt pretty happy to finish off my striper fishing for the month by catching 29 of them today along with a nice speck.

2021-04-11-001.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Always great to see a speck make an appearance up north a bit. Really interesting too that trolling was less productive for rock on your recent trips - I can seem to catch one or two casting but it's never been close to the numbers as trolling for me (this morning included).

Comment

Originally posted by scorchy View Post
      Always great to see a speck make an appearance up north a bit. Really interesting too that trolling was less productive for rock on your recent trips - I can seem to catch one or two casting but it's never been close to the numbers as trolling for me (this morning included).
      What I have observed over the past few weeks is that the stripers are not scattered around the usual areas. They seem to be clustered in just a few areas. If you are able to find those small areas, it is productive to stop and cast to them.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going John. I agree it's surprising that you're finding rockfish so consistently in the hot, shallow water of Eastern Bay. Also very cool that you're consistently getting specks over there too. I have yet to catch a speck this year... I usually catch them in St. Mary's County waters but I have not done any tidal fishing down there this year due to exceptionally poor reports. Maybe I'll pick one up in QACo
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Great job/report J! I’ve fished all of those locations and never had that productivity! I’m headed to Avon (Outer Banks) in two weeks and hope I get half of that type of action!
          Al

Comment

Congratulations! Have fished Cabin Creek a couple times in early July and always had a productive trip!.

Comment

Working...
            X