Topwater heating up in the slower lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topwater heating up in the slower lower

After a very difficult year things are finally heating up. I’ve been focused on throwing topwater until the sun gets up and the last 2 days have been good. Yesterday I went to a trout spot and got this 21” on a walk the dog lure.
    A2F0D0C7-9462-4AE5-A49C-22A7B1321F2C.jpg
    On Sunday I had hooked an over slot redfish but lost it when the hook pulled out. This morning I went back to try again. The area these fish are hanging out is between shore and grass, at high tide maybe 3’, mostly in the 2’s. True skinny water only a kayak can fish it, and realistically only a topwater lure will work. Got this 22 and missed another. Redfish aren’t a numbers game most of the time, you’re working hard to get one or two bites, but when you do…..hold on.
    33C89045-FE07-4324-A68A-CA5DA6ADE54E.jpg
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Good for you, Mike.

Beautiful morning photo.

I've caught reds in TX on a Zara Spook topwater walk-the-dog lure. The reds ignored it until my guide showed me a specific fast retrieve technique. It was exhausting and hard on my wrist but worth it because it worked so well in attracting reds.

You're fortunate to have such nice sized redfish and specks in your local waters.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome report Mike. Glad things are finally turning on for you guys down there. Further north we don't have quite the variety - with rockfish and perch being the main players, one of which is currently off limits. The perch fishing has been somewhat spotty. You can find good numbers of them but you have to look hard, at least in my experience. They are not as widespread as they have been in years past.

The reds have been pushing surprisingly far north this year. I'm aware of 10 caught in Anne Arundel County waters over the last month between myself and the small circle of kayak anglers I talk with regularly. Most are small, in the 8-12" range, but a couple slot sized reds have been caught up here.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks for the report Mike. I've been frustrated by the fishing this season so far, we have been spoiled by the abundance of years past. Guess I'll be refocusing my efforts towards the thick grass and closer to shore.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Its good to hear that your fishing fortunes are headed in a better direction.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X