Redfish trifecta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redfish trifecta

We don’t know why, and none of us are complaining, but we are having a banner year catching slot size redfish. Today I got 3 in a different spot than usual and our group had 6 when I left. I had a 24, and 2 22.5” fish. The power in these fish is amazing. One of the 22.5” fish spun my Pro Angler in a circle twice and drug me about 25 yards down the shoreline. Today they wanted a slowly retrieved or trolled green trout trick. Some high quality trout were in the mix as well.
    152A6568-BA4F-48B0-91C8-6A2F9B68A6B1.jpg

EDE5C753-F2BF-448B-813B-EB1D1C87DFB4.jpg
    8FF809BE-0810-4ECA-BDEE-9AD007EBF971.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Way to go Mike. I've only ever caught 2 slot sized reds and I remember them both putting up a great fight. I can't even imagine the fight from one of those big bulls you see people catch once in a while.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Nice. I’ve been catching plenty of puppy drum on light tackle from shore. They definitely put up a powerful fight. I agree with Dave, the bigger bulls would probably put an angler to sleep after catching one! Beautiful fish!

Comment

Glad to hear that your shallow water fishing has picked up recently. I hope to spend a day or two in the area in late Aug.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice Mike! It should be a good rest of the summer and fall for you guys if the pups are showing up. I'm hoping some show up in my local waters so I don't have to travel to catch them.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            Nice Mike! It should be a good rest of the summer and fall for you guys if the pups are showing up. I'm hoping some show up in my local waters so I don't have to travel to catch them.

Last 2 weeks have really seen an influx. We caught 6 total today between 3 of us, all slot sized.

Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Once again that's great to hear Mike. Makes me wonder if reds were targeted more up that way with chunk or live bait would catch ratios increase. As I've noted in earlier posts I get few if any strikes on lures this time of year from reds. Case in point, I was out again last Monday in the marsh here in Charleston. I had a few specks and weakfish on lures. Not a bite on them from reds. Switched over to bait and caught 20+ reds up to 30" and a black drum in a couple hours. I've had dozens of trips down here with the same results.
              Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
              Predator 13

Comment

Working...
              X