New PB trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PB trout

This morning I fished from two different QA County launches. The first one offered a good bite (13 stripers to 23" plus a beat up 19" bluefish in just 80 minutes) in 4' to 5' water depth. The poor blue was full of sores and wounds, and had one damaged eye.

But the wind direction made this location pretty rough. I took several waves over the side of the kayak. I left the fish biting and returned to the launch. For those of us fishing from kayaks, getting accurate wind predictions (both speed and direction) is important. I knew the wind would be marginal at the first spot, but did not think the waves would be as strong as they were.

I loaded up and relaunched at a second nearby spot that was much better sheltered from the wind. Early on, I cast to a submerged rock pile in 5' depth. On my third cast, the line went tight. Initially, I thought I had snagged my 3” white paddletail on the structure. Then the fish began thrashing back in forth in the 18” deep water over the rocks rather than swimming off rapidly. I could tell this was a large fish. The slight golden color had me thinking this was a redfish or maybe a carp. But as I got it close, I saw many spots on the side.

I do not carry a net and was cautious in grabbing the jighead with my right hand and placing my left hand under its belly. I slid the fish into the kayak for several photos. The fish was huge – it measured out at 26” -- by far my new personal best (the old PB was 22.5"). This large trout, plus all the other fish caught today, were released. All fish were caught on 3" or 4" paddletails and light jigheads.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That’s a huge trout, congratulations.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congrats on the PB John, that is one impressive fish!
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Very nice! It’s hard to beat catching big fish in shallow water.
          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Gator! Congratulations on a citation trout!
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Great fish, John! To me, specks over 24" in our local waters are special fish you don't expect to catch every trip.

I guess that blue is special in its own way too, lol. Damn ugly looking fish. True survivors are bluefish!
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X