Seeking advice on Upper Potomac/Fifteen Mile Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on Upper Potomac/Fifteen Mile Creek

Towards the end of August I'll be in Western MD and plan to fish the area where Fifteen Mile Creek meets the upper Potomac. I don't have a whole lot of experience fishing free-flowing rivers and creeks in general, so I'm seeking any and all advice in that regard. If you have advice specific to that area, that would be great too.

As it stands, my general plan is to target slack water behind large rocks/logs/etc., target deeper pools, and target current seams where there's fast moving water next to slow moving water. I plan to bring some Rebel Wee Craws, small jerkbaits, small poppers, soft plastic tubes and curly tail grubs, ned rigs, small spinners. In my mind that should cover the bases but I'd be happy to hear what others suggest.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

My favorite Upper Potomac lures:

1/8 oz. Rebel Pop-R Tennessee shad (orange lip is easier to see)
    2 1/2 " and 31/2" Broken back Rebel minnow (good luck finding them). I do not like the jointed rapala
    Heddon Tiny Torpedo-small size

Rebel Deep Wee-R Craw
    Original Floating Rapala minnow (I prefer gold 3 1/2")
    Deep Shad Rap

1/8 oz. Jig head with 3" curly tail grub both white and black bodies (a 3" paddletail should work as well)
    Lunker City Sluggo's 4" used to get a lot of hits but had a terrible hook up rate

I'm not a big fan of Mepps Spinner as they twist the hell out of the line (put a swivel 2 feet up the leader) but a lot of folks swear by them.
    Fast current isn't great for my spinner jigs, either.

If using a fly rod, you can never go wrong with a size 6 weighted black wooly bugger, a small popper, a damsel fly imitation, and maybe a sulphur fly imitation for the evening hatch.

You are right about finding current breaks, ledges, and holes, but don't ignore shoreline patches of water willow. Cast along side of them may bring out a "Smallie" surprise.

You'll want to find some way to hold in current or slow your drift. I use to have a "drag chain" made from a vinyl covered heavy gauge chain about 3' long trailing from a rope from my canoe. Anchoring a kayak in moving current isn't a good idea.

I'd also start out paddling a ways upstream and drifting back down, fishing, eliminating the need for a shuttle takeout. On wider parts of the river, I'd do this several times during the day and take different routes down.

Shade in mid day is always a good thing.

Comment

Thanks Stu, this information is great!

A drag chain is a good idea, I'll have to fashion one of those.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

A drag chain is a must in my book. Don’t overlook tossing 5” Senko’s into pockets, and once sun up into the shade, even a few inches of shade can hold fish. I find folks downsize more than they need to when targeting Smallies. That 20” fish don’t want your 2” mepps.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

The trip was a success. Over two days of intermittent fishing (it was a camping trip with friends so I couldn't spend all my time fishing) I caught 16 smallmouth, 5 redbreast sunfish, and 1 common shiner. The largest smallmouth was my PB by far - 18.5" and 3.3lbs. A local fisherman told me this was a very big fish for the area.

20230825_185431.jpg
          20230825_185508.jpg

The average size for most of the smallmouth was about 10-12" or a little smaller, though I did get two at 15" and on at 13.5". Those river smallies put up such a good fight! Tiny Torpedo was my most successful lure but I also caught them on small curly tail grubs, 3.5" paddle tails, 4" brush hogs, Rebel Wee Craws. Seemed like they weren't too picky about the lure as long as you put it in the right place.

20230826_114709.jpg
          20230826_120143.jpg

At one point in the trip I hooked a muskie and it bit me off as soon as the line came tight. I returned to the spot several times throughout the day and could not get another bite, but I did float right over top of at least 2 muskies right in the vicinity of where I got bit off. That was a real heartbreaker and has me considering doing a dedicated muskie trip at some point.

20230826_125231c.jpg
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Congrats -- that looked like a great trip!

I've been eyeballing the Upper Potomac for a couple of years now but I'm irrationally nervous of my pedal drive (Old Town PDL120) with big underwater boulders. I picture myself drifting into one and snapping the prop... Based on your floats down the river, is that a legit concern? Or is it mostly "open" water?

Comment

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the report and pics.
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post

I've been eyeballing the Upper Potomac for a couple of years now but I'm irrationally nervous of my pedal drive (Old Town PDL120) with big underwater boulders. I picture myself drifting into one and snapping the prop... Based on your floats down the river, is that a legit concern? Or is it mostly "open" water?
                The section I was fishing was bound by shallow riffles immediately downstream of the boat ramp and about 1 mile upstream. Between the riffles it was deeper than I expected, I'd say it averaged 3-4ft deep, and portions were 6-8 ft or deeper. I had no problem using my Hobie. I did bump a couple rocks in shallow areas near the riffles, but with the kick-up fins I was not worried about it. I didn't try going past the riffles, I think I would have needed to get out and pull the kayak behind me.
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Much appreciated! I think I just need to drive out there sometime and give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post

I would leave the drive at home and put the plate in it's place,
                    Small mouth fishing the small flows is a drift, beach on a ledge, stake out, beach on a gravel bar and wade type of thing.
                    The PDL unit will be of no benifit and likely get damaged.
                    Captian of the plastic Navy
                    1 - Mad River Canoes
                    1- Tarpon 120
                    1- Redfish 10
                    1- Coosa HD
                    2- Cuda 12
                    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X