Looking for info on Fletcher's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on Fletcher's

Hi all, Looking for a little info on Fletcher's for a future kayak catfishing trip. Mainly just looking for info on where to park and where to launch the kayak for access to the main river. How is the structure in the area? rocky? depth? Any good structure like holes, humps and channel edges? Is there a lot of annoying boat traffic like those pesky inconsiderate wake boats and ski boats that frequent the Patuxent and like to throw 3 foot wake at kayakers?
    Dylan

Bonafide RS117

The kayak launch at Fletcher's is at the south / far end of the parking lot.

You have to go thru a 7' high tunnel (this is the old tow path), so check your roof clearance if you car top with a tall SUV. This road is usually kinda rough and pot holed.
    Check this out on Google Maps.

Road traffic along Canal Rd. and turning into the road leading thru the tunnel is worse than the boat traffic, which is speed limited to 6 knots.

If coming from the West / 495, I usually pull off to the side and back halfway down until I can turn around in the side lot, rather then to try to make a sharp right handed U-turn. No room to do this if there is oncoming traffic. At least there is a light to help you get out when you leave.

Structure and rocky depths is extreme, varying from ledges above the surface to 60' deep holes!
    The currents can be pretty tricky, between the tidal flow and what is coming down from the Chain Bridge area.
    Downstream from Fletcher's is a little calmer and flatter.

A lot of boaters make an anchor out of a large rock with rope, so no major loss if it gets hung up. Don't anchor in strong current!

This time of the year the water level is pretty low, but a hard night's rain can change this.

Check with the USGS gauge at the Little Falls Pumping Station. Anything above 5.0 is very high (Fletcher's shuts down their rentals at this height).
    As of today, 8/15 the gauge was at 2.73,' which is low.

Comment

The wake boarders/skiers on the Patuxent are the worst lol

Comment

That's a lot of info, thanks. Looking at Google maps, the little bridge over the canal, is that drivable or just for walking?
        Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

The bridge over the canal is for foot traffic and bikes, not vehicles.
          To get to the parking and launch area, you've got to go under the canal via the tunnel.

Comment

ahh, ok I see the tunnel on the map.
            Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

One more question, looking at google earth, is that dock the launch point? It looks like it is covered with rental kayaks and looks like it would be pretty tough to drag my own through there.
              Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

No, the dock is where the rental boats are.
                Follow the driveway around from the dock area, South along the river, about 100 yards, to the far end of the parking area. Look for two white stones where it begins to curve ( you'll have to zoom in on Google maps to see these). This gives you about a 20 yard carry to the river from the parking area.

Comment

OK, cant see the rocks and launch on google earth but i see where the parking lot layout is. I'm sure I'll find it.
                  Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Working...
                  X