A good day on the water!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good day on the water!

Haven't posted in ages because I've been too busy to fish much. But glad to have skipped work today...

Launched out of Solomon's at sunrise. Worked some shoreline and picked up a few flounder and puppy drum, before the (abundant) flounder got too irritating at biting the tails off my gulp minnows. So headed over to my favorite hotspot, not expecting much at this time of year. Got a 15" trout pretty quick, but nothing much else so I changed up a couple of things. Then the action hit...

The changed tactics led to a couple of quickfire rockfish, then lost a BIG rock. Couple more 16" rock and had yet another really big one take a swipe. Then even more shorts and finally hit the money: a 29" fish (safely released). A few more small ones and then the bite died as tide went slack, so I rolled out.

That one location rarely fails me, and today it paid off big time once I figured out where exactly they were holding and what they wanted. I think I'd have caught a lot more if I'd figured all that out sooner, but now I know. Nonetheless, well worth taking a day off work!
    Attached Files

Sounds like your hard work paid off. Nicely done!
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Well done, sounds like you really figured them out. 29" is a great size rockfish, especially for this time of year. I haven't caught anything over ~22" since the beginning of May.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Nice going!
        Solomons is chock full of small flounder. Plenty of good size white perch also if you know where to find them. 29 inch rock ain’t bad.

Comment

Nice going!
          Solomons is chock full of small flounder. Plenty of good size white perch also if you know where to find them. 29 inch rock ain’t bad.

Comment

Nice going!

Comment

Great report! Well worth a day off. I'm gearing up to go out this weekend, hoping the weather cooperates.
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Thanks all -- it may have just be luck versus judgement, but I look forward to getting back out there soon and testing the theory again. I was hoping to also hook into one of the big reds that are around, but sadly not.

Solomons is chock full of small flounder
                You're not kidding! It's ridiculous, and they have those vicious little teeth that cost me a lot of $$ in gulp minnow tails. Last year it was lizard fish, but I didn't see a single one of those yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                  Great report! Well worth a day off. I'm gearing up to go out this weekend, hoping the weather cooperates.
                  If you're heading to Solomon's, feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you the info on where I was. (I'm happy to share privately with any of the "frequent flyers" here -- I just don't want to post the spot publicly!)

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post

If you're heading to Solomon's, feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you the info on where I was. (I'm happy to share privately with any of the "frequent flyers" here -- I just don't want to post the spot publicly!)
                    Thanks for your generous offer. Life got in the way and some family obligations popped up this weekend. I was able to get out very briefly on Thursday and ran into a lot of bait and several schoolie stripper with the occasional perch. My buddy was luckier and landed some bluefish and a 21" striper. We stayed on the Potomac side. Wind was ripping but we managed. No manatee were spotted.
                    Tight lines
                    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
                    X