Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Day on Eastern Bay

Good morning Gentlemen,

Arron and I launched onto Eastern Bay around 330pm yesterday. We had an outgoing tide from approximately 330pm – 730pm. We headed directly to an area that we had success last year. First pass, nothing. Second pass I caught a beautiful 17” Speck….my first of the year. I thought this would be “the day of the spec” but that was the only speck I caught. Arron caught two specks. Also, I had both rods go down simultaneously multiple times and I love when that happens. After finding fish by trolling, we casted for the remainder of the day. Yesterday, I began marking waypoints for the first time…pretty cool...I am enjoying learning and utilizing my electronics. We were getting pushed pretty hard by the current and having the waypoints was immediately very helpful.

Most of the day, I was using paddletails and I do not know what possessed me to try a crankbait but…first cast, immediate hookup…I mostly fished crankbaits for the rest of the day and it is the first time I can remember fishing from my yak and having crankbaits out-produce paddletails.

I caught probably 10 – 15 stripers with one at 24”, one at 21”, two at 20”, etc. I also caught a very large and fat white perch and about five other perch.

It was a really nice day…didn’t have to paddle too far, fight much wind, no major issues except I had a big fish on the rod with braid and I broke off just above the tackle clip again…the leader is holding, but my knot is not (pun semi-intended). I honestly think I am going to start practicing a different knot to tie lures to mono….this is the second consecutive trip where I lost a big fish due to my knot failure.

Tight lines everyone...

Rob,

Nice outing.

Non slip loop knot -- plenty of videos/illustrations online describing how to tie it. Easy and strong.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you Mark. I am willing to bet that you have a wonderful description of this knot in your book. I will check when I get home this evening :--)

Comment

Rob,

I do. Page 24.

I use the loop knot when I make monofilament tapered leaders and when I attach tippets and flies to those leaders.

Also, I use the loop knot, in lieu of clips, to tie lures onto my mono leaders when I use conventional tackle.

The loop knot allows more freedom of movement to flies and lures than a clinch knot.

It's very strong. I have never had one break at the knot.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X