What ever happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened?

To hybrid bass? At one time I believe when I was in my teens I would hear about hybrid rockfish being caught in the bay. They resembled stripers but had broken lines. Are they still a thing?

Arent the stripers caught in some of the local freshwater reservoirs hybrid striped bass? I think Ive heard of them being stocked in Lake Mead out west too. None of this is fact, but solely based on things I think Ive heard over the years. Hopefully someone with more expertise can weigh in.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Wipers are a sterile hybrid of a Striped Bass and a White Bass that at one time were stocked in the Central US. They featured fast growth and were supposed to be very hard fighting

Wiper_Hybrid_Striped_Bass_4-20-16.jpg

Comment

They have them in my old home lake in illinois and have since the 80s. Rend Lake. Used to catch them a lot under the spillway.
        Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

I've caught them in Liberty Reservoir here and in a few of the big lakes in SC. They just didn't seem as feisty as the saltwater variety and not "my" thing. Noticed that with inland black drum down south too.

Comment

I think that the Stripers you have caught in Liberty are not the hybrid variety. Rather, like the fish in South Carolina, they are part of the landlocked variety of the normal Striped Bass that were stocked in Liberty decades ago, and have developed a reproducing population. Same with Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              I think that the Stripers you have caught in Liberty are not the hybrid variety. Rather, like the fish in South Carolina, they are part of the landlocked variety of the normal Striped Bass that were stocked in Liberty decades ago, and have developed a reproducing population. Same with Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge.
              Those stripers typically had broken lines which I've learned to associate with a "hybrid" variety but, I wouldn't bet against your explanation either. Whatever their pedigree, they've been around for decades as you said and constitute a major fishery for those that target them.

Comment

If you ever watch catfish Dave on YouTube, his video "heartbreak ledge", he catches 6 or 7 landlocked tennessee river stripers and all of them look to be in the 40+ inch range. I think oxygenated mountain water has something to do with it.
                Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

They're currently stocked in Lake Anna.

Comment

Originally posted by Slough Sleigher View Post

Those stripers typically had broken lines which I've learned to associate with a "hybrid" variety but, I wouldn't bet against your explanation either. Whatever their pedigree, they've been around for decades as you said and constitute a major fishery for those that target them.
                    The ones in Liberty are stripers ……. Hybrids can’t breed. Stripers spawn in Liberty.

Comment

Working...
                    X