Newbie here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here!

While researching for my first kayak, I luckily landed on this forum. Looks like tons of great info here. Before making the plunge, I wanted to gather thoughts on the Vibe Makana 100. Would you recommend this kayak for a beginner? I'm nearing 50 and stand at 5'7 170ish lbs. I was aiming for something light that I can transport without a trailer and could handle myself without too much strain. I plan to spend most of my fishing in the Pax River and creeks. I hope to venture to the mouth of the Pax and the Hog Pt. area. Would this kayak be ideal for these areas and for my age & size? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You would want to ask whatever dealer to let you get a demo on it and check its stability. The hog point area can get pretty dicey on any given day with all the boat wake. You would want to pick a day without much wind. I've been out there on a 10MPH wind day and it was about the limit for my bonafide RS117 and bonafide kayaks are up there at the top for stability. For that price point and size, i would also suggest trying out a bonafide SS107. See which one feels best for you. Of course, if having pedals is a must, then the one you're looking at is probably the best for you. Most other pedal kayaks aren't that short, expect for I believe a couple Native models. I would also suggest going down to the patuxent adventure center in solomons. They have a lot of great kayaks and will usually cut some deals. I got mine there for 200 dollars off because they called it a blemished model. Its only problem was a little smudge on the logo.
    Dylan

Bonafide RS117

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Originally posted by gogorome View Post
        While researching for my first kayak, I luckily landed on this forum. Looks like tons of great info here. Before making the plunge, I wanted to gather thoughts on the Vibe Makana 100. Would you recommend this kayak for a beginner? I'm nearing 50 and stand at 5'7 170ish lbs. I was aiming for something light that I can transport without a trailer and could handle myself without too much strain. I plan to spend most of my fishing in the Pax River and creeks. I hope to venture to the mouth of the Pax and the Hog Pt. area. Would this kayak be ideal for these areas and for my age & size? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!
        First off, welcome aboard. Second, you mention that you are looking at transporting without a trailer. Would this be car topping or in the bed truck/back of a van? There are several additional factors to consider. I should start out with the fact that my current weekly fishing hull is a 2021 Vibe Shearwater 125. I purchased it used from the original owner just after Spring Trophy Rock season. My previous primary kayak was a 2015 Hobie Outback. I also have a Hobie Sport, Wilderness Tarpon 160, and Wilderness Tsunami 145.

I ask the transportation question in regards to car topping. Even if you have a sedan style vehicle, you probably want to look into a lift assist system like a Thule Hullavator, Yakima Showdown, or Yakima Showboat. There are several options, at various price points. Even at its weight and length, car topping a Makana 100 could be a bit ungainly, especially if you have a taller vehicle. you are utilizing a truck bed or transporting inside a van of sufficient size, disregard.

I understand the desire to have an easy to handle and transport vessel. What kind of fishing do you plan on doing though and where? What seasons? Trolling, standing sight casting, drifting, bottom fishing, fly, etc? Even areas of the upper Pax, such as Jug Bay can be pretty open and have a bit of fetch (distance that wind can blow without obstruction). IIRC, the local Vibe dealer is our towards the Eastern Shore and I don't think they have a brick and mortar demo shop. Your best bet in shopping for a kayak is to actually getting some hands on time with them. The weight that a manufacturer advertises doesn't necessarily account for a kayaks' ease of handling characteristics. Handle placement (or lack there of) and comfort are a big factor. Vibe does offer solid bow/stern and side handles, not all manufacturers/models do. I would not rule out a slightly longer vessel like the Shearwater 125. The corresponding increase in length and weight are offset by an increase in hull speed and a drier ride. An increase in length can also assist in handling in more adverse conditions.

In terms of Vibe and the Makana 100 specifically, I offer the following thoughts. While a very capable kayak, I feel that the hull design and "open" bow of Shearwater is a wetter ride than the Outback. The Makana, at 10' and with a similar "open" bow/hull design, is probably going to be a wet ride in moderate chop. Overall I have been satisfied with my Vibe Shearwater and it's performance , but this is after several modifications by the previous owner. The following items were upgraded with secondary market items: rudder, shrimp seat clips, drive pod, and drive pod locks. I've never dealt with Vibe as a company directly, but people have various opinions on them overall. There is a robust secondary market supporting Vibe products, both for improved OEM parts (improved seat clips, drive pods, drive locks, pod locks) and custom mods (custom motor mounts).

Please let me know if you have any questions or want clarification on any of my points. There's a robust Vibe Shearwater 125 owners group on FB, so I'm sure there is a Makana counterpart. I caution you to take everything with a grain of salt and get your own hands on time. Hope this all helps. Good luck on your journey and keep us updated.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

A word of caution regarding the Makana... it's a new kayak that was introduced by Vibe this year, and as such is a "first gen" model. From what I have heard online and from friends-of-friends, a lot of the Makanas - perhaps even the majority - are having drive failures very early on. The typical problem is that the sprockets shear off. Vibe will correct the issue by sending you new sprockets (from what I've heard, the replacements don't break), but it's something to be aware of. Curiously, the Shearwaters don't seem to be having this issue, and they both use the same X-Drive. My guess is that with the introduction of the Makana they expanded their sourcing of the X-Drive and its components, and whichever ones are getting shipped with the Makanas are inferior for some reason. Because it is such a widespread and well-known issue, it stands to reason Vibe should correct the issue and release a 2nd gen model.

Beyond that, the Makana looks like a nice lightweight (as far as pedal kayaks go), nimble pedal kayak with a bare-bones type of layout which is nice for people who like to keep it simple when it comes to kayak fishing. At your size I would not have any reservations about the stability of the Makana, just be smart about where you take it (which you should be doing anyway regardless of what kayak you choose).
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! This is absolutely the information I was hoping to gain. You all provided so much info that I haven't even considered. I will definitely check out the Shearwater 125. I had plans on using my van to haul my future kayak and had no idea there were lift assist systems. My intention is to fish spring, summer, and fall, but mostly the summer as my job permits more time. Bottom fishing and casting lures will likely be my predominant method of fishing; however, I do want to try a little bit of trolling. I definitely intend to try before buy. I believe I saw a dealer in Annapolis and am also willing to drive up to Delaware if needed. Anyhow, I will definitely update the forum with my first kayak (hopefully in Spring) and will always be open to more suggestions & considerations.

Comment

Oh, I did forget to mention the drive issue. It seems everyone upgrades the drives. I never even considered a Vibe X drive, as I have Hobie V2s already and the Shearwater came with a 180 drive. I canreport X drive failures on Shearwaters on the owner forums. Definitely second not being the first generation adopter of any new tech.
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I am over 50 and 6'2" make sure the kayak you choose is comfortable to fish in and stable. If you go with a pedal drive make sure the kayak while it may be more affordable it can also be paddle easier so you don't find yourself in a situation if the drive fails. Many boats have been made bigger and more open to be set up for bass tournaments and perform very well with drive or motor but can be difficult to move around. When you consider weight think of the hull is plastic so if a sturdy hull it may be a little heavier than light cheaper boat the use less plastic and accessories in the build to keep the weight down. Last look at the warranty and customer service review of the boat you decide on so that after you purchase your kayak should anything fail you will be covered by a good warranty and customer service. Definitely go to a dealer like Delaware Paddle Sports and sit in a boat you like and you may find a boat that you like and is new last year stock on sale in your price point that offers more and great way to get into a higher end kayak.

Tight Lines
                KayakRudy

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                  I am over 50 and 6'2" make sure the kayak you choose is comfortable to fish in and stable. If you go with a pedal drive make sure the kayak while it may be more affordable it can also be paddle easier so you don't find yourself in a situation if the drive fails. Many boats have been made bigger and more open to be set up for bass tournaments and perform very well with drive or motor but can be difficult to move around. When you consider weight think of the hull is plastic so if a sturdy hull it may be a little heavier than light cheaper boat the use less plastic and accessories in the build to keep the weight down. Last look at the warranty and customer service review of the boat you decide on so that after you purchase your kayak should anything fail you will be covered by a good warranty and customer service. Definitely go to a dealer like Delaware Paddle Sports and sit in a boat you like and you may find a boat that you like and is new last year stock on sale in your price point that offers more and great way to get into a higher end kayak.

Tight Lines
                  KayakRudy
                  Thanks a bunch! All great points that I will consider!

Comment

Working...
                  X