Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Neck State Park - Rogue Harbor & Lapidum

Hi All
    As I look for launch locations closer to home (Baldwin) giving options with different tides and winds I've looked up these two. I'm launching a pedal kayak and Rogue Harbor looks like a good location for fishing the turkey point area if its not to far away in reality. Can anyone advise if that's a good observation.

Lapidum looks like a pot for catfish and bass, again from a kayak. Is that a good conclusion. I'm not looking for people to give me specific spots. Rather that they simply help me avoid pedaling for hours and wasting my time.

Thanks

Not sure about Rogue Harbor, but lapidum gives you options for catfish and bass (striper, smallmouth, largemouth). Near port deposit is popular, further upriver gets more shallow. They updated the Jean Robert’s launch area under the bridge in Havre de Grace, that’s a great access point for a variety of areas. There’s a ton of other species you can catch out there, depending on time of year. There’s a launch area at port deposit if you’re on that side and also the Perryville boat ramp ($fee associated I think). I went out of the Jean Robert’s area on Saturday morning and caught 4 blue catfish around 18” not far from the perryville ramp area.
    J

Comment

Thank you very much for the help.

Comment

Perryville Park also has a launch site. Park doesnt open until 0700ish but the gates have been open.

Comment

Thanks for that. I saw this location on the MD access site. Looks a fair pedal from Turkey Point mind you and pretty exposed to the predominant SW and westerly winds. Do you agree?

Comment

It would be a hike to Turkey Point. I use it mostly to fish furnace bay for largemouth. It’s close though to the top of the flats.

Comment

Hi All

I launched from Rogues Harbor today and trawled up the river for about 1 mile and then all the way down to Turkey Point covering various depths from 6ft to 25ft on the way, I picked up quite a bit of bait on the fish finder but nothing massive. I saw birds working bait near Turkey Pojnt but not flocks of them and no fish broke the surface. I trawled back to Rogues Harbor. All of this was in fairly heavy rain. Water temp was 55Fht.

I never touched any fish (rockfish) trawling plugs. However, on return to Rogues Harbour area I set out a bait rod and picked up medium sized catfish very quickly. All fish were returned.

This was a first time launch from Elks Harbour for me and again, it's a nice area to fish. Outgoing tide seems to have circa 1.5mph of current. So, anyone kayak fishing here needs to remember that.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X